Ego

"Come on man! I know you got this!" Klaus called running after his team mate Marco. Practice was brutal for football-or as they all called it soccer-but Klaus refused to let him give up. Marco was a good player, he could see the talent. This man would be great if he would only work it.

Marco stopped running sitting on the ground and Klaus turned running back to him stopping in front of him. "What's wrong?" He asked frowning seeing if Marco was hurt with a twisted ankle or something. Couch had always insisted if they hurt to stop immediately, a game or practice was not worth them hurting themselves more and more.

"Why bother?" Marco grunted and Klaus could feel some irritation flare up but push it back.

"You won't get better without practice." Klaus pointed out trying to keep calm, the one thing he hated more then anything was someone waste their potential.

"Practice? Like you know anything Jackson! You find everything easy; grades, sports, looks, friends, clubs, girls, everything!" He glared his brown eyes showing hatred and anger at the too perfect upper classman. And boy did he know it. 

Cocky son of a bitch!

"You think I find things easily?" Klaus asked looking at him with icy green eyes. They looked like glaciers despite the color. "That I don't work hard? That I don't stay up all night studying, that I don't practice and practice and practice?! That I haven't spent at least as much time out of practice, practicing as I spend in practice? That I haven't had to face my share of rejection to find the few who will care about me faults and all? That I don't know plenty of my 'friends' are fair weather?" He let out a humorless chuckle, "I'm more then that."

"You're still a cocky asshole." Marco growled out looking away from the chewing out he just got from the team captain.

"Cocky? I just know my value and refuse to apologize. To hell with false modesty." He chuckled, "sad thing is you are a better player then me; but there is a saying. Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard. So, you want to rest on your natural talent or you want to get up off your arsch? (ass?)" He asked and Marco nodded standing up.

- - -

"Hey...uh Klaus?" The Austrian born man turned to see the younger promising soccer player.

"Ja? (Yes?)"

"Thanks for that...earlier I mean." Marco thanked looking away and Klaus nodded.

"No problem, I am the captain for the time being. My job to give you a kick in the ass sometimes." He teased and Marco looked at him shocked.

"Time being?" Never had Klaus mentioned that he would not be the captain and he didn't think it was something the tall man would let slip.

"Keep it up and actually work and you'll be a much better captain then I. If you can grow up." He let out a gentle reproach.

"Me grow up? You're the one who always argue with that (short/one/tall) girl." He mentioned not knowing who Name was, Klaus's rival.

"Argue?" He asked and shook his head, "no not argue. We help each other. We always do the best when we are trying to outdo each other." He explained shrugging and Marco raised an eyebrow.

"I don't know if that's what I saw. I heard she's trying to get that scholarship to study in England, are you trying to also?" Marco asked not knowing if he would be gone. Man would coach be mad about that...

"Huh? No, she'd mention it when we talked about getting better and better." He assured with a laugh. They had a understanding, unspoken or not, they did this to work to make each other better. To keep doing better and better from each other. She was the only one who could give me a run for my money and I was the same for her.

Here you go, this takes place before my story The Line even began. I hope you can see a more human side of Klaus and what he believes about himself.