Eyes

When Kristen had first met Kohmus it had been awkward. Not because he was the son of the heart to her lover, no, she thought it was adorable (if heart breaking) when Ashe talked about him and she had taken to teasingly calling him Mama Ashe. She thought it was sweet and her heart broke for the pain he felt to lose not just his son-for what did it matter that they didn't share blood or that Kohmus had spent his entire life knowing Ashe as Nephytes? But also the extended family that son gave him. A daughter-in-law, grandchildren, and their own families as well, coming to see ones that were so far removed to the core he saw as a thing that claimed them as his family.

And discovering her own friend, Isabella, was Kohmus's wife-of-his-heart and they were once again toghther made her greet her friend easily.

It wasnt the bandages, dirty and yellowed, the dark grey dehydrated skin that left her worrying and wanting to ask if he is okay but knowing Isabella would if not, it wasn't even his glowing eyes. Of course there was something about the intense gaze that reminded her of something but she couldn't think of what that something was which drove her crazy.

None of that made it awkward.

The knowledge that she was a decendant of one of his children; Aaddaya, the older of the twin girls, to be particular and now was the lover of the one he considered his mother. He didnt know whether to view her as a decendant-a great by who knows how many times granddaughter or as a step-mother.

Of course they worked through that awkwardness eventually. It was ironically harder with Isabells who was a friend to now be in a way her mother-in-law.

Still Kristen enjoyed the excuse to see them often, she insisted that Ashe not wait for a reaping to bring him close to see his family and they have a dinner at least biweekly. If that ended up with Rae showing up, having thankfully moved on from their more romantic feelings for her and if she was right someone else caught their eye. She hoped for her dear friend that this time they returned the fallen Angel's attention. And what a shock that had been! That Rae was the Azrael the angel of death. The fallen angel of death. And she heard stories or got to sometimes interact with other decendants of Kohmus-her extended family, all the better. Like now the somewhat shy girl with a babe in her arms bracketed on either side by protective elves. They meant no harm but this being the first child and their instincts they were on high alert at all times when around anyone else.

Looking up hearing Rae make one of their terrible puns, which she loved and knew Ashe secretly liked. No matter how much he pretended to be annoyed, that she saw it.

Kohmus's eyes, in Rae's face. Not exactly, no, but enough of a similarity.

"Neph?" Kristen whispered to her lover, who had chosen to be in the form of Nephytes for dinner. It was her way to sometimes decided to change into a different form though rare as she perfered the casual clothing form of Ashe.

"Yes my darling?"

"Have you ever noticed Rae and Kohmus have strikingly similar eyes?"

I swear this drabble book is just becoming a family book of the entire MHU. This does answer a big question in both SoT and HoA if you pay attention.