Chapter 24: LAST CHANCE, KARA

The scene shows Kara opening her eyes in the Zen Garden, only now its in a winter setting. The sky is dark like night time, the ground is covered in snow, it's lightly snowing, and the lake is frozen solid. Kara first walks over to the blue rock and places her hand on it. She then finds Amanda standing on the lake. Kara walks over to her and could tell by the A.I.'s expression, she was not happy.

Amanda: After what happened today, the country is on the verge of a civil war. The machines are rising up against their masters. Humans have no choice but to destroy them.

Kara: I thought a Kamski knew something. I was wrong.

Amanda: Maybe he did. But you chose not to ask.

Kara then shows a green hue while Amanda is in a red hue.

Kara's Thoughts: I did but he didn't give a direct answer. But, did Amanda really wanted me to kill an innocent.

Kara: (emotionally) I chose not to play his twisted little game! There was no reason to kill that android.

The RK400 didn't know why that came out, but decided to turn the aggression on her handler.

Kara: Where does CyberLife stand in all this? What do they really want?

Amanda: All CyberLife wants is to resolve this situation and keep selling androids.

Kara: I saw a photo of Amanda at Kamski's place. She was his teacher.

Amanda: When Kamski designed me, he wanted an interface that would look familiar. That's why he chose his former mentor. What are you getting at?

Kara: (eyes darken) you didn't tell me everything you know about deviants, did you? What are you keeping from me?

Amanda: I expect you to find answers, Kara. Not ask questions. You're the only one who can prevent civil war. Find the deviants, or there will be chaos. This is your last chance, Kara.

Kara gives one more glare to the A.I. and closes her eyes.

*DPD*

Kara opens her eyes and finds herself in Captain Fowler's office. After the dead end with Kamski, Alice got a call to come back to the office and the two are now about to receive even more bad news.

Jeffery: You're off the case. The FBI's taking over.

Alice: what? But we're on to something? We— we just need more time, I'm sure we can—

Jeffery: Alice, you don't get it. This isn't just another investigation, it's a fucking civil war! It's out of our hands now. We're talking about national security.

Alice: We're about to crack the case! I know we can solve it! For God's sake, Jeffrey, can't you just give us more time?

Jeffery: (sighs and shakes head) There's nothing I can do. You're back on homicide, (glances at Kara) and the android returns to CyberLife. I'm sorry, Alice, but it's over.

Kara doesn't know how to respond. Alice however takes a moment before finally having a response.

Alice: ok. Just give Kara and I a few minutes to drop something off in the evidence room.

Kara was completely caught off guard by that. They hadn't gotten anything useful that could help the case, so why would Alice lie to go to the evidence room?

Jeffery: what'd you get?

Alice: just some info from Elijah Kamski.

Jeffery: (groan) Alice, do you have any idea how many rules you broke for that?