Chapter 44 Creaky Floorboards

***I bet this fuckin chapter surprise the shit out of ya. That's right just one week later and another update, I don't know if I'm sick or what but I'm happy to bring you guys another chapter earlier than expected. I'm not gonna make promises I can't keep so I'm just going to say I'm feeling creatively motivated and I'm hoping to get the next chapter out to you guys soon. We'll see, anyway enjoy~ ***

I could feel my heart in my chest seeing my mom's name there next to mine. So much has been going on I've barely had time to think about her. I started to try and read the contract but it was slow going. Even though my french is good it's still not my first language.

I'm pulled out of my thoughts. I felt the pit in my stomach droop, footsteps. I froze in place, listening closely. They were getting louder, but which ship were they heading to? It was hard to listen, the sound of my heart beat was loud. I stopped breathing. The footsteps were right above me. I shoved the book back onto the book self as quickly and quietly as I could, cramping the contract into my pocket. There was nowhere to hide and it's to late for me to try and run off the ship now. The bed, that was my only option. I could hear the footsteps heavily coming down the stairs. I was still holding my breath. I got underneath the bed quickly, trying to be quiet. My heartbeat was loud and fast. I could feel the cold sweat forming. Shit shit shit shit.

The door opened. Now I really wasn't breathing. I heard the footsteps come in slowly. I could see the pair of black leather boots from underneath the bed. My eyes were glued to the tattered things. Who was it? What were they doing? Why were they just standing there? Are they going to move? They were standing there for only a few seconds but it felt like hours. When are they going to fucking move?! I heard them let out a heavy sigh before turning back around, shutting the door behind them. I was shaking, still barely breathing as I kept listening to the footsteps. Why am I so scared? I thought I was over being like this. Hadn't I proven to my self what I can handle? Shit...

I kept listening to the footsteps, they seemed to be walking around below deck. I heard the sounds of glass bottles clinking together. Soon after the footsteps started to get louder again and the pit in my stomach grew. Are they coming back in here? What are they doing? Just as I thought the nerves were reaching a high point the sound of boots on the steps made me listen closer. They were going up. I still couldn't bring myself to feel relieved, they were still on the ship. I heard the thudding of the footsteps above me. They moved to the plank, you could tell since it didn't sound the same. The familiar creaking of the dock was comforting this time. I waited until finally I couldn't hear anything anymore and took in a gasping breath.

I knew I couldn't afford to just remain here but I needed a minute. My mind had gone to fight or flight mode and I was shaking. I tried to take a few breaths before slowly and quietly getting out from under the bed. I needed to get back to the captain, I didn't know what to make of this contract. I hadn't even read through it yet but I had a feeling I wasn't going to like what was written. That pit in my stomach reformed thinking about it. My mother's name... was she alright? Did this contract say to take her alive or... I can't think about that right now. I slowly reached the door, my hand still shaking slightly. My body was cold from sweat.

My body froze again, more footsteps on the dock. They were quicker than the ones before. There also wasn't just one pair. I scrambled under the bed again in a panic. I wasn't as quiet this time.

"Did you hear that?" My heart was beating against my ribcage as those muffled words seeped through the boats wooden exterior and met my ears. There was silence, they were listening to see if they would hear it again. I was lying as deathly still as I could, not even breathing.

"I don't hear anything." Another voice eventually said. Then I couldn't hear anything at all, just some shuffling of shoes and then suddenly the sound of footsteps going further away. Something didn't feel right. I waited a while, listening to see if I could hear anything else. After the footsteps had gone far enough away they disappeared. The only thing I could hear was the creaking of the docks and boats as they were rocked by the small waves of the ocean. I could hear my own heartbeat and breathing louder than anything else. I waited a little longer. Still nothing. I got out from under the bed, opening the door slowly. It was still dark with only the light of the moon shining through the cracks between the floorboards above.

I heard a creak that sounded like weight shifting. A hand was around my throat. My head was slammed against the wall and I was seeing stars. The back of my head throbbed with a heat. My vision was blurry. My hands scrambled to the hand around my neck from pure instinked. I was gasping for air. Despite my blurry vision I could see that sickeningly familiar snake like grin. He's going to kill me.