Chapter 53 The End

Just like when we first reached this land a few days ago, I was once again hit with this feeling of the place being the same but something still feeling different. The largest towers ordained with windows were the same, each stone shaped and chipped in all the right places. The stables that were off to the side looked no different, and from the smell that wafted from them when we passed them, they smelled just the same too. There was still just as much grey as I remember, made me want to add some colour when I became king. My chest twisted a bit realizing what I just thought. Have I started to accept the choice I had made?

We reached the foot of the castle, the steps leading up to the entrance of the place I would once again try to make my home. I got off the horse and the guard got one of the stable boys to take the horse to the stable. The captain had gotten off the horse too and was sticking close to me. He kept looking around, I could tell he didn't trust this place. We walked up the steps and I took a deep breath before pushing open the massive doors. I could suddenly tell just how much stronger I had become. That door used to be much harder to open. The guard rushed in ahead of me.

"I shall return shortly your Highness, I must inform your parent's." He said hurriedly. He spoke quickly with the guards stationed in the entrance hall of something or other before rushing off. They looked at me with a surprised kind of expression so I imagine he told them who I was. I looked to my side, catching a glimpse of the captain with a frown on his brow. My hand gently brushed up against his and his attention was suddenly brought to me. I smiled a bit but my stomach was all in knots. I hadn't seen my mom in so long, and... my father.

I ended up grabbing the captain's hand without noticing, his warmth and presses were comforting. Why was I feeling so nervous? I guess a part of me wondered if my mom would even recognize me at first. I started to hear the sound of footsteps hurriedly coming down the stone floored hall, the sound echoing. I felt the captain's hand squeeze back. Was I even breathing? I couldn't tell.

A woman appeared from the hall, her large velvety red dress embroidered with gold and lace showed her royal status. Her wavy blond hair was down making it clear she was planning to get ready for bed.

"Mom..." Her body turned towards me and I watched so many emotions pass through her blue eyes before she ran straight for me. I had no air left in my body. I let go of the captain's hand and hugged her tightly. Tears started to stream down my face and my crying was not silent. I heard her crying too. We collapsed to our knees embracing each other. I didn't want to let her go. She was wearing that flowery perfume she liked so much and it felt as if it too was embracing me. After a while our grip losend on each other but only enough to look at each other properly for the first time is so long. Her small hand whipped the tears from my face as she took me in with warm eyes, damp from tears.

"My boy... my beautiful boy, I knew you were alright. I knew those who spoke negatively knew nothing of what you're capable of." Her voice was shaky but she had a smile on her lips. She gipped my shoulders. "You've grown so much, look at you! You're taller than me now I'm sure, and where did all this muscle come from?" Everything felt so warm. Her hands, her words, I missed her. "You need a bath don't you? And some food, should I make you something? I'll make you something, oh but you probably want to rest first, you must be so tired." She was rambling but I could help but smile and take her hands in mine.

"I'm alright mom, I missed you so much... I..." I was getting choked up and getting out what I wanted to say next was hard. "I thought... when I ran away..." My voice was cracking and the tears that had just dried on my cheeks were being replaced by new ones. She hugged me tight, rubbing my back in that way she used to do when I had nightmares as a child.

"It's ok, you did good. All I ever want is for you to be safe, what happens to me doesn't matter as long as you're alright. I'm just so happy that you're home." My heart was tight, hearing her say all those things.