Chapter 22

(Pete photo above)

*launch break, West-End High School*

"Why are the cops here in school? And why is my sister summoned to Principal Fagin's office?"

I blinked twice. Completely taken by surprise as Pete jumped into my way from nowhere, shoved me aside causing my back to come against a locker in the hallway and throw these questions at me.

"Oh uh, they're not arresting her or anything. They just want to ask her few questions." I croaked.

"About what? The fire at Cindy's party?" Pete seethed.

"Yes, what else do you think?" I snorted, more annoyed than calm.

"I thought I made it clear to you that Selene was drunk that night. She just had her first champaign." Pete paused, his chest raising and falling as he breathe. "The fire, started from a performer's electrical guitar. I specifically told you this, didn't I? But you went ahead to get the cops on Selene's back!"

Is this guy being this insensitive right now? Really?

"Hey, I know you care about your sister, but you have to consider others too. Someone's house was on fire, the least you could do is try to be more considerate and understand that we only want the culprit caught." I snapped at Pete.

"THERE IS NO CULPRIT!" Pete yelled, and I flinched.

Few students nearby in the hallways stared at us. "What y'all looking at, huh?" Pete sneered at them and they quickly looked away.

I guess there's a part of Pete that I haven't met before...

The angry Pete!

"I just came back from being suspended in school." Pete continued "I won't have Selene get in trouble or be suspended." Pete emphasized on every word he said.

"Having trouble over here?" a female voice interfered from behind me.

Pete and I snapped our heads towards the girl. It was Claire, the girl Selene and I met in the bathroom two weeks ago.

"And who are you?" Pete sneered at Claire.

"Oh, I'm Claire." She say and stretched her hand for a handshake. Pete glared from Claire's outstretched hand and scuffed. He shoulder bumped her as he walked pass us.

I resisted the urge to roll my eyes at Pete's behavior. Claire watched Pete walk down the hallway until he was out of sight, then she turned back to me. I rolled my eyes this time around and continued walking to the cafeteria. Claire followed me.

"So, why's your boyfriend angry?" Claire asked me

"He's not my boyfriend!" I yelled at her and she flinched. I sighed and folded my arms across my chest. "He's not even close." I say calmer this time.

Claire throw her hands in the air. "Okay, okay! Sorry about that." She rolled her eyes "So, why's Pete angry?"

"Because the cops took Selene for questioning."

"Is Selene in trouble?" Her eyes widened.

"No. She's just a witness, and it's just an interrogation." I said quickly.