Chapter 23

*at the school gym*

~Catherine's pov

Generally, I hate being nervous. But today, I am so nervous. Here I am standing at the arena of our school gym, in my cheerleaders uniform, about to compete for regional, with so much nervousness. Besides, my teammates are hoping I give the best dance and make our school team win regional this year.

The cheerleaders from other schools watched us from the backstage. I know they were wishing that I flop and my school team lose the competition.

In front of me were the judges, anxiously waiting to see what my team and I have got. Students and teachers with parents and friends sat in the audience areas.

On a normal ground, these things cannot make me nervous. Actually, they don't! I've been a cheerleader for 4 years now, so these things are just about normal for me.

Now what's making me nervous is that the cops are here, sitting among the audience. They're waiting for the end of the competition to take me in for interrogation!

I can't seem to forget what Tanya told me yesterday.

*24 hours ago*

"I thought you'd never ask" Tanya smirked. "You remember Cindy's little party, right?"

"Am I supposed to forget that so soon?" I scorned. "Her party ended in a fucking fire!"

"Well, you know I've got ears everywhere, and I hear things others don't." she said proudly

"Bitch if you're talking about the fire from the cheap band's guitar, then you must be crazy. That's an old story, the whole fucking school knows about it"

"Well yes, but I know something else." Tanya said, wriggling her brows.

Hate it when she does that.

"Spill" I said with a side smile.

"Oh come on now, you know it's doesn't work like that with me. I want something in return for the info I'm giving. You know the saying nothing goes for nothing." Tanya grinned

I felt like snapping her head from her neck, but then, though she always want something in return but she has the talent of getting good information and secrets. Basically, whenever Tanya has a secret to tell you, just have it in mind that she would want a favour in return.

I puffed out air. "What do you want this time? Money? Or a pass in a subject?" I huffed.

"You're always so smart Cat. Well, I don't want money this time, I want to have an 'A' in Chemistry. Think you can make that happen?" Tanya smiled sheepishly.

I was kinda glad she didn't say Physics, cause I'll never be able to get anyone an 'A' in Mrs Keighley's subject. That woman is a nightmare.

"Fine." I said rolling my eyes. "I will tell my stepfather to make it happen. But you better pray that the information you have for me is worth it, otherwise I'll snap your head from its position."

"Cool" Tanya squealed.

"So? Fucking tell me already!"

"Okay. Sooner or later the cops will come for you" Tanya warned...

*24 hours later*

"Miss Catherine?"

I tilted my head as I entered my stepfather's office. Seeing these two people on suit, sitting in the principal's was enough to stop my heartbeat. A small gasp escaped from my mouth.

"Y-yes, that's me." I stuttered, staring between both cops.

"I'm Detective Gordon, and this is my partner Adrianna Shawn." the man said, flashing his badge at my face.

I thought I saw my whole life vanish before me in a flash. I could literally hear my own heart beating. But still, I had to make my boldness real, I can't let these cops sense my fear.

Don't forget,
You're never caught until you're caught!

"You're cops?" I said, acting like I was surprised. I stared from the cops to my stepfather. "You let cops into the school now?"

"Honey you can't stop the cops from doing their job, they have a warrant." My stepfather muttered.

"Miss Catherine, if you could come with us to the station, we have a few questions about Friday night." Detective Gordon said, and adjusted his tie.

"Friday night? That was the night of Cindy's party." I blurted. "There was a fire, though it was an accident. The whole school is talking about it."

"We have reasons to believe that the fire wasn't an accident. Which is why we're interrogating possible witnesses at the scene. Who knows? Maybe someone saw or heard something." Detective Gordon said

"There were hundreds of people at the party, why am I the only one who has to be interrogated?" I scowled.

"No, no, honey. You're not in any kind trouble, okay?" my stepfather came in, causing all of us to turn our heads to him. "You're not the only one, Selene Anderson was interrogated yesterday, and she's in school today. See? No worries." My stepfather ricocheted.

"Look, I'd love to help you, but I can't. I have a dance competition which will start in 10 minutes. We're competing for regional, and I'm the captain of my team. If I go with you now, we'll never win regional."

"Yes, the principal told us about your dance competition earlier. We could wait after the game if that's ok." Adrianna said.

"Absolutely!" my stepfather exclaimed before I could say anything.