Chapter 29

*at the school gym*

~Catherine's pov

"Okay girls, take five." I announced to the cheerleaders.

"Okay captain."

"yippee"

The cheerleaders chorused in excitement for the break as they ran out of the gym to grab a light refreshment. Some simply sat on the floor to catch their breath.

I had to make the cheerleaders rehearse a great deal, more than our usual.
I don't want any excuses not to win this year's nationals.

we barely made it through regional last week, we had initially come second for the first time in a long time. I had Tanya dug up dirt on the judges, which I used to blackmail them after  they declared McClain's High School winner of this year's regional and the one to go compete at nationals.

I immediately emailed the judges videos and photos of their shady businesses and personal life. I told them that the videos and photos will go public if they don't withdraw their verdict and declare West-End High School as the winner of regional.

And of course they heeded to my treat, thanks to Tanya the blackmail was solid.

They announced a default in their judgment, they went back into the 'judges chamber' to decide the winner again. They came back out and declared West-End High School the winner.

The audiences didn't agree with this verdict. They booed at us. The only people cheering were the students from my school who were excited to emerge winner, but their happy voices was swallowed by the angry shouts of students from other schools. But of course they didn't know I blackmailed the judges, all the angry audience knew was that our performance wasn't worth 1st position.

To be honest, our performance wasn't worth 1st position, which wasn't entirely my fault, I was nervous because the cops were at regional, I thought they had come to arrest me that's I flopped in my freestyle routine.

I'm smart enough to know that Tanya may not always get dirt on the judges. I can't rely on blackmailing my way to win nationals. So just in case Tanya cannot dig up any dirt on the state province judge, I'd like to be prepared. That's why I always make the cheerleaders practice hard. Just in case.

"Catherine?" Mrs Derek's called out, bringing me out of my thoughts.

"Yes couch." I grinned. "What do you think of today's rehearsal?"

"Much better than regional." Our coach retorted, I gulped.

"Regional was a flop, I know. That's why I'm making the girls work harder." I shrugged.

"It wasn't the girls who flopped, it was you on your freestyle routine." Our couch scorned

"Have I ever let our squad down before? I'm not planning to now. I'll fix my routine for nationals, I promise." I reassured.

"You better, 'cause the team needs you, the school needs you. If we don't win nationals, the government will not allocate this year's scholarship to our school." Our coach emphasised on their faith in me.

"I know that couch." I muttered. I tilted my head and saw Tanya coming into the gym. "If you'll excuse me couch, I have to meet someone."