Chapter 23

Feeling the hand touch the back of his head, Thunder let out a hiss and whipped out, trying to bite it. The hand fortunately gotten away in time and something cold and wet sprayed the young hawk. Jumping, he turned back around to see Alfred holding a spray bottle. "What the heck was that for?!" Thunder grumbled, shaking his feathers dry. Rain, meanwhile, was chuckling quietly as she remarked, "Maybe you should stop biting people."

"Who's side are you on?" Thunder retorted, scowling. Noticing that Alfred was reaching out towards Rain, he let out a low growl. The old man replied with a spray from the bottle. Spitting out the water that had gotten into his mouth, the young hawk was about to launch himself forward when he got sprayed for a third time. Huffing angrily, Thunder hopped off the couch and onto the coffee table nearby. Shaking himself, he turned around to see that Alfred was gently petting Rain from her head to her back. Her eyes closed, the young hawk sighed as she mumbled, "That feels so good..."

"Hands off my sister," Thunder snarled, getting ready to pounce. Before he could, he got sprayed once more. Now frustrated and wet, the young hawk's feathers bristled as he let out another growl, this one coming deep within his chest. Alfred responded to it with a spray from the bottle. Water dripping down his beak, Thunder gave up and turned his back. Getting himself dry, he could hear a purr coming from Rain. Stealing a glance over his shoulder, he could see that his sister was enjoying her petting session. She had even rolled over onto her back. Seeing the look on her face, the young hawk could tell that she was happy. Sighing heavily, he looked away. Lifting her head and opening her dark brown eyes, Rain spoke softly, "Thunder, come on. Loosen up a little. You have to try this."

"And why would I do that?" Thunder muttered, not turning around. Staring off at the wall across the room, he got lost in his thoughts. Hearing Rain continue purring, he noted that he had never seen her truly happy in what felt like years. Glancing over his shoulder, he looked up at Alfred. At the same time, the old man looked over him. The spray bottle was on the table beside the left arm of the couch. And he made no sign that he wasn't going to grab it. With a brief glance at his sister, Thunder sighed as he went back over to the couch. Lowering his head, he stood still. Quietly, Alfred reached his hand forward and touched the young hawk's head. Frightened, he let out a squeak and the hand pulled back.

Shifting his right foot nervously, Thunder lifted his gaze. He had been expecting to be sprayed with cold water again. However, Alfred made no movements towards the spray bottle. Instead, he touched the young hawk's head once more. The hawk stood completely still as the hand ran down from his head to his back and then repeated its course. Relaxing a bit, he closed his light brown eyes and, for the first time in what felt like forever, let out a soft purr that grew louder by the second.

Smiling quietly as his hand stroked the young hawk beside him, Alfred spoke softly, "There ya go sweet boy..."