Chapter 124

"Well, that's just perfect!" Chloe exclaimed after a second or two. No one else even dared to say a single word. All of their eyes were fixed onto the exact spot where Pops had just been. Gulping nervously, Buddy whimpered, "We have two options now I guess. Either follow Pops to the afterlife or take the long route." Shaking beside his best friend, Mel murmured, "I vote long route." Sweetpea chirped in agreement with the pair just as a city bus rolled to a stop on the other side of the street to drop off passengers. The other pets were shocked to find out who was there.

A very familiar and still living elderly basset hound in a wheelchair.

"Come on slow pokes!" Pops called, turning around to look across the busy street at the others. They were all looking back at him in utter shock. Recovering, Sweetpea shook himself and, flying as high above the bustling road as possible, flew across safely. The parakeet landed lightly on top of the old dog's head, who merely smiled up at the little bird. Seeing how the others were struggling to figure out how to get over there, Tiberius decided to follow Sweetpea's example. However, he was just beginning to spread his wings open when Chloe noticed. Hissing, she lashed out with her claws towards his face. The old hawk luckily got away and backed up while the tabby snarled, "Go back to the forest where you belong predator!"

"Chloe-" Gidget started to say but the cat was no longer listening as she turned around and boldly dashed across the road, almost getting hit by a motorcycle on the way. Not wanting to be left behind, Mel and Buddy followed a few seconds later once there was a bit more of a clearing. Gidget didn't go with them though. Instead, she was looking over at Tiberius, who had now turned away from the road and the other pets. Sensing that the Pomeranian was behind him, he spoke softly, "Just go. Don't worry about me."

"I'm sorry about how the others have been treating you," Gidget whispered quietly and sympathetically. Glancing over his shoulder, Tiberius looked her in the eye. He didn't even try hiding the sadness in his. Seeing that, Gidget opened her mouth to say something but not a word could come out. Gently patting the red tailed hawk on the back, she finally managed to mumble, "I wish you good luck." Sighing heavily, she turned to face the road and started to cross. Watching her, Tiberius was about to begin his long journey home when he stopped to look back once more.

Gidget was still crossing, almost across the street, while a large truck was barreling down towards her.