Chapter 37

"Just to be clear, you see the shed too... right?" Tiberius asked his little sister Rosa, his voice a whisper. She nodded her head quietly, confusion written on her face. Just then, Alfred started limping towards the shed. This only made the hawks scratch at their heads mentally even more. They wanted to go home to the bed and have dinner inside. Most of all, they wanted to be with their owner. It was also getting dark out, signaling they should go inside. But the old man went right up to the shed and opened the door. Inside, there were branches low and high with the occasional rope tied to them and a piece of wood leaning against one of the walls. Light streamed in through small holes. There was also these two chains.

Letting the pair get off his gloved hand and perch upon one of the branches, Alfred sadly picked up one of the chains. He quietly clasped it around Tiberius's right foot before putting the other one on Rosa's left one. Lifting his foot, Tiberius inspected the chain thoughtfully. He tried biting it off but that obviously didn't work. Looking up at the old man, he let out a tiny squeak of bewilderment. Sighing softly, Alfred pulled out a small bag that he had brought along in his jacket and opened it, revealing venison. Giving the two hawks four pieces each, he attempted to smile but it just wouldn't form. Gently petting the siblings, he explained quietly in a voice filled with sorrow, "I'm so sorry you two. I tried but the neighbors think you're too dangerous to keep inside the building. They keep telling me that you have killer instincts. But that's not true." A tear rolled down his cheek as he concluded, "I just want you two to remember that you did absolutely nothing wrong and that you are the sweetest birds in this universe. I love you both." Without another word, he turned and left, looking over his shoulder one last time before heading inside the building.

Hearing the door to the rooftop shut behind Alfred, Rosa broke down into tears and leaned against Tiberius for support, who tried comforting his sister with a small hug. Gazing up at her big brother, she cried, "What are we going to do now?!" The young hawk remained quiet, not sure how to answer that question.