Chapter 129

"Go Max!" Gidget cried urgently, noticing that Max was staring at her with his jaw hanging. She had a feeling that he needed to save someone from the animal control van caught in the scaffolding. Probably his new roommate. Snapping out of his daze, Max exclaimed, "Right! Okay, gotta go! Thank you, thank you!" Watching the terrier run off, Gidget smiled softly. Hearing a dog get up behind her, she suddenly kicked him and barked, "Stay down!" She returned to smiling a split second later.

"Gidget! Oh my god that was amazing!" Mel and Buddy yipped running over to the fluffy white Pomeranian. The pair hoisted her up onto their shoulders. Sweetpea flew around her head chirping and whistling. Strolling over to the group, Pops lifted his gaze as he remarked, "That was pretty impressive Puffball. Remind me never to get in a fight with you."

"Hey guys!" Norman squeaked, bounding over. Seeing the young guinea pig, Mel howled happily, "Norman! You're alive!" He and Buddy ran over to the little rodent and hugged him. It didn't take Sweetpea long to join in the group hug. Giggling, Gidget spotted Chloe standing nearby. Unlike everyone else, the tabby cat had a sad look on her face. Trotting over to the feline, the small dog asked, "Chloe, what's wrong?"

"Gidget... I'm so sorry... he was trying to save me and Norman..." Chloe whimpered, tears running down her face. She hung her head in shame. Confused, Gidget looked behind the tabby cat. Laying on the ground motionless was Tiberius. Her ears pinned against her head, the fluffy white Pomeranian silently walked over to the old hawk. Gently nudging his beak, she murmured, "Hey, get up. We won, we completed the mission." There was no reply, no reaction whatsoever. It was at that moment Gidget noticed the snake bites on his left shoulder and chest.

Tears brimming in her sky blue eyes, Gidget felt her legs collapse underneath her. Her heart shattered to pieces as she stared at her friend's face. Nuzzling Tiberius, she whimpered, "I'm so sorry..." Burying her face into the feathers on his neck, she cried. She didn't even notice that the other pets had gathered around in dead silence. She sobbed quietly, heartbroken over the death of the red tailed hawk. Gently kissing his cheek, Gidget whispered softly, "You are the greatest best friend I could ever ask for Tiberius..."