24

CHAPTER 24

Boys and Cousins

REN

IS IT JUST me or he did sound unsurprised as to what I have just revealed?

Oh well, what should I expect?

It's not like anyone would find it interesting.

I woke up the next morning too early. I wonder where he slept. I went straight to the bathroom before slowly walking up to the kitchen to make some cup of Milo when I saw Knight working on the stove.

"Bakit ang aga mo?" bigla kong singit nang makarating ako sa likod niya.

I noticed that his back grew tense. He seems to be deep in thoughts.

"Naistorbo ba kita?" suyo ko rito.

"No," he shook his head. He set the stove in low fire for what seemed like simmering some thick soup and turned to face me, his hip pressed against the counter. "Are we doing the grocery shopping today?"

Now that I realized, as I went inside my head for things I have to buy, I remembered that my period has been delayed for almost a week now. I groaned in agony as if to expect a rather more agonizing threat sooner. His brows knotted and asked what's wrong.

I waved him off and said, "Bibili lang ako ng whiteboard marker at saka gamot."

He turned his back again and went on with cooking. "Anong gamot?"

"Gamot ko."

"May sakit ka?"

"Wala."

"Eh bakit ka iinom ng gamot?"

"Hindi mo maiintindihan," paliwanag ko sa kanya at saka na ako naghanda ng dalawang mangkok sa mesa.

We spent almost half an hour on the table, blowing off the hot soup and of course, persuading him not to bother coming with me. Which I did, successfully.

"Kapag hindi ka pa nakakauwi ng pananghalian, isusumbong kita kay Lolo G."

"Will you stop that?" I pinned out as he followed me out of the door.

"The what?"

"Calling my lolo, Lolo G."

"Why?"

A hint of offense crossed his eyes for a split second but it's barely there. From what I have learned from him these past weeks that he's lived here with us, he pretty sure is trained to really mask his emotions.

I shook my head, nearly a little regretful to say that and left.

I ALREADY HAD a feeling that my day is going to be bad, bad, bad.

I realized it just when I was walking down the street and a white Toyota Accent pulled to stop. The door opened but I didn't bother stopping to look at the passenger but just about a few seconds later, I internally groaned as someone placed their hand on my shoulder.

I turned round and gave an awkward grin as I scanned his rather happy face. What the fuck? Has he not recognized me?

Sa bagay, hindi ko naman siya masisisi. Malaki ang ipinagbago ko. Lalaki ako noon.

"Bakit?" tanong ko rito.

"I'm on my way to Knight's. Wanna go with me?"

My ears pricked for what he just said. "How did you know where he is?"

He chuckled and waved a finger in front of me, looking so amused. "Let me rephrase that although it would sound a little bit more demanding. Take me to Knight."