Lifeguard McCree x Reader: The Unexpected

McCree is a beach boi.

Reader POV:

Overwatch holds it's annual beach day like it does every year. It pays off, after all the shit us agents do to keep people safe. Paperwork, training, missions. All of that stops for a split moment on beach day. It's the only summer break we are ever going to get, so might as well bask in the sun and surf the waves. 

Then there's the guys that showcase their six-packs for everyone to see. Jesse McCree takes pride in that, taking off his cowboy look and replaces it with a lifeguard. Honestly, no one knows how he went from cowboy vigilante to a lifeguard that barks at people that swim too far. Yet he prepares for it to an extent. He bleached his hair, got kissed by the sun, replaced his arm prosthetic with a red waterproof arm, took off his cowboy boots to replace it with flip flops, and switched the BAMF with the SAMF belt. Yea, it's a nice sight.

 Plus if you wear sun glasses and tilt your head at a different angle, he'll never know you're staring at him.

I wish I had the nerve to go and talk to him during moments like these. You can only stare for so long before yearning for a normal conversation. Every time I try to get out of the beach chair, I find myself sinking back in in fear of failure. I've played out the scenario several times in my head, all of the scenarios have gone down in flames. 

Scenario One:

Y/N: Hey there hot stuff-

McCree: I'm gay.

Y/N: ... I'm happy too. Ummmm I'm gonna go drown now.

McCree: Um ok.

Senario Two:

Y/N: I love you.

McCree: what?

Y/N: I said fondue. I love fondue. Goodbye.

Senario Three:

Y/N: Hey McCree, how's-

McCree: Oh no there's a drowning kid! Sorry Y/N!

Y/N: Oh um no problem...

Yea flirting, being direct, or simple conversation starters seemed to lead to rejection and embarrassment. So, sitting in the chair and acting like everything was fine seemed like the safest thing to do. McCree probably doesn't like me that much, we only ever interacted on missions and the occasional small talk. The friendzone is my new home now, maybe I'll adopt a bunch of pets and partake in that expensive French wine Widowmaker raves about so much. 

"Y/N, what are you doing sitting here?" 

I jumped up in my beach chair, turning around to see Ana in front of me with an ice tea in her hands.