Chapter 43

Jk's POV:

I felt my lips stretching at the corners and I had to remind myself again and again not to break into a full-blown smile. Taehyung was positively giddy next to me, but I could sense he was trying to restrain himself.

Two more votes left. He thought to me.

Will that matter even? We got this in the bag.

Despite my words to him, and the relief I felt, I was still tense about the two votes that had yet to be called out.

All the Alphas on the committee and Solar had voted in our favour. Chief Tashiki had voted in our favour too. Chief Jungyen had voiced that he wasn't convinced and hadn't voted in our favour. Still that was 6 to 3 if Chief Sherin and Jaehwan didn't vote in our favour. I realised I wasn't sure what the protocol was if most Elders didn't vote in our favour. Did it matter? Was there another trial?

Unfortunately, I couldn't ask about it now. So, I waited with bated breath for the last two votes.

Chief Sherin looked over at us, "I am surprised to say that I agree with Jungyen..."

My heart sank and I felt Taehyung stop moving too.

"But I also believe that is because this matter has been unnecessarily complicated. For me the witnesses do not matter much but what I see. I see love, caring and understanding. Your happiness radiates around you and that is enough for me. I vote in favour of the accused."

I nodded to her and shifted my attention to the man in the middle. He had been silently observing us the whole time and I had tried my bets to avoid his gaze. He held my gaze for a full minute before he leaned forward. I stiffened.

"Jeon Jungkook. Since the day I first saw you, there has been something about you...that I can't quite place my finger upon. I wonder what it is?"

He hummed loudly at his own question and continued to scrutinise me. Taehyung tightened his grip on my hand once again like earlier.

"Maybe there is something that even you're not aware of?"

"Uh what?" I questioned him.

"Do you know what it is about you that troubles me?"

I shook my head slightly.

I knew what it was. It was the power of my wolf. I was really good at keeping the power reigned in, so it didn't appear as more than that of a strong Alpha. During my first trial, my ignorance of my identity had gotten me through this questioning, and Namjoon hyung. I turned my head to look at him. He was sitting with his back straight, his hands clasped under his chin. He wasn't looking at me or at the trial committee but at Jihoon. I didn't have time to catch why he was looking at Jihoon before Chief Jaehwan started talking again.

"Putting all doubts aside, I vote in the favour of the accused."

What? That's it? It was that simple?

I jumped suddenly at the loud hollering that came from the back of the room, where Hoseok and others were seated.

"Kookie!" Jin hyung was beside me all of a sudden and I was being pulled in a hug. Then Yoongi hyung and everyone else were right behind him.

A loud throat clearing made the noise die down and I looked back at Chief Jaehwan.

"Namjoon, thankyou for your hospitality. We will leave by nightfall, right after Alpha Kim and Alpha Jihoon."

My gaze wandered to the two who stood to the side.

Jihoon was staring at a point on the floor, his brows furrowed and body rigid. Alpha Kim was conversing lowly with the bodyguards and his conversation looked heated.