Chapter 29

I sighed as I ate my meal, not looking away from my plate as I raised the fork to my mouth and took another bite. "Hey Kokichi, are you okay?" Tsumugi asked, looking at me in concern. I gave a small nod.

"Yeah, I'm fine." I replied. But I wasn't fine. Not yet. But once we get out of this place safely, I will be. But right now I'm just worried about Kaito. He isn't even here right now. I wonder where he went. 

"Hey, anyone seen Miu or Kaito?" Rantaro asked, seeing the two empty seats.

"I know Miu is working on a new project in her lab." I said. And that wasn't a lie....she was inventing key tools we needed for the escape plan I had. But it might take some time to do so. However, I'm confident in her skills as an inventor. "Okay, then what about Kaito?" Maki asked, looking to the empty seat beside her.

"Kaito told Gonta that he was freshening up for dinner before he got here." Gonta said. I narrowed my eyes. Freshening up? I hope something like earlier didn't happen again. If Kaito gets that weak again alone, he's vulnerable to Monokuma. I mean, that damn bear managed to sneak up a poison arrow on the strong, impenetrable Gonta. So a dying Kaito alone....not a good mix. 

Suddenly the door opened, and we all turned our attention to it. Kaito stood by the door, closing it behind him. However....I noticed his figure trembling right away. Not the kind where you're scared.....the kind where you feel weak. 

"H-Hey guys....sorry I took so long...." Kaito said with a smile and a energetic tone. However his voice was clearly strained, and his face was pale again. Maki caught on right away, and she stood up instantly.

"Kaito, you don't look good. Are you alright?" she asked. Kaito blinked, as if he didn't hear her. However the realization of everyone's worried expression hit him, and he put on a reassuring smile.

"Hehe, relax, I'm fine. J-Just a little tired...." he stated. He walked over towards us, but he was stumbling a bit. Now Shuichi was standing, as was I. 

"You don't look alright. What's wrong Kaito?" Shuichi said sternly. "Relax, Shuichi. Guess I just....have a little b-bug....n-nothing to worry about...." Kaito stated weakly. However he placed a hand over his mouth and coughed, making everyone jump. "Kaito?" Maki said. I started to walk around the table and slowly towards him.

"Kaito...." Kaito suddenly coughed violently, as if he was choking. Immediately he puked up blood, which splattered on the ground. Everyone's eyes widened, and Tenko even let out a yelp. Kaito stumbled over, as if he was about to collapse. However I again lunged forward and caught him. Thankfully Shuichi did the same, and we both caught him. 

"Kaito!" Maki cried. Shuichi and I led Kaito to one of the chairs, sitting him down. 

"That's a helluva a lot more then some damn bug! What happened?!" Ryoma demanded. Maki narrowed her eyes. "Was it Monokuma? Did he do this to you?" she asked. Kaito weakly lifted his head and opened his mouth to speak, but then suddenly the monitor in the dining hall flickered on.

"Nope. Wasn't me this time. Unfortunately for Kaito, he's always had this chronic disease from the beginning." Monokuma replied. Shuichi's eyes widened.

"C-Chronic disease?!" he said.

"Yep. Sadly, only a hospital can help your friend now." Monokuma replied. "You're kidding me?! T-Then there's nothing we can do?!" Tenko said. "No! There must be something we can do! If we could treat Gonta, then there must be a way to treat Kaito!" Kirumi stated.

"Yeah, unless you have a whole bag of medical supplies hiding behind your back, as well as the experience to do any medical performances, I seriously doubt that." Monokuma stated. Ryoma growled, standing on the table to glare at the bear.