Ch 5

Tommy rarely talked to me when we were alone

Tommy rarely talked to me when we were alone. We had developed this unspoken bond when I was quite small. We enjoyed each other's silence it wasn't awkward, like it was with other people. Maybe this was due to the fact that we both grew up in family's that never seemed to have a lot of quiet time so we understood how nice it was to have it.

"You should talk to Fran," I stated as we pulled up to my family home. "Just tell her it's fine and all. We both know how she works herself up."

"It might be good for her to stay away from me for a while. I always tend to give her the wrong idea," Tommy sighed running a hand through his hair before pulling out a cigarette. He offered me one, but I quickly denied I could feel Catherine watching through the window and I didn't need my scolding worse than it was already going to be.

"Maybe tell her the truth then Thomas. It's not fair of you to string her along now is it." I gave him a pointed look. "She's a smart girl until you walk through the door." I waited to walk inside until Tommy drove away he didn't need to hear the yelling. Catherine was standing in the living room across from my three sisters who were all sitting on the sofa. Their heads were all facing the floor and I could hear their muffled snickering.

"You think you can pull a fast one over me just because your uncle is away! Just wait till he's home!" She screeched. "And you! Josephine get your ass in here now!"

"I thought ladies weren't supposed to use the word ass," I sassed earning myself a smack upside the head. I winced at the pain as my head jolted forward. "You know if you keep hitting me like this I'll lose all my bloody brain cells."

"Don't sass me. I know you didn't come home last night. You're being a little whore aren't you!" She slapped me across the face causing all three of my sisters to jump out of their seats. "I have arranged you a date tonight. He's a nice boy. I expect you to be on your best behaviour." Catherine stormed out of the room leaving all of us standing with our mouths hanging open. We needed Edward home. She was insane.

I stared at the dress that Catherine had laid out for me. It was far less hideous than the pink frock from a few days before. It was a dark red high necked form fitted dress. The sleeves hit just above my elbows and the skirt hung a few inches above my ankle. It had the most delicate lace overlay I would have actually picked it myself which I would never admit to her. If I hadn't known any better I would have guessed Beth had been the one to choose it.

"Jo are you alright?" Beth popped her head into the room. "Fran and Dot ran out for a bit. It looked like Dot was going to punch that witch in the face," Beth shook her head gently running her hand over the red mark on my face. "Sit down I'll do your makeup while you tell me all about your night."

"First tell me how Catherine out of all people chose this dress. She put me in a sack the other day," I pointed to the red outfit.

"Oh I spilt on the one she wanted you to wear. That's a dress I bought," Beth grinned. "She yelled at me for an hour about how the four of us ruin everything we touch, but it was worth it."

"I love you." I hugged her. Of course it wasn't Catherine I should have known better. "Last night started not great Finn was acting strange but I told him I loved him."

"You what?!" Beth shrieked.

"I told him that I loved him how Ada loves Freddie, but then Tommy fucking interrupted. I think he was going to say it back...but now Catherine's ruining everything." I shoved my face into my hands.

"I have a plan. Don't you worry." Beth smirked. "She needs to stop thinking she can control us Jennings girls."