Ch 41

"Mam can you tell me your name?" The officer asked again his voice gruffer then when he asked the first time

"Mam can you tell me your name?" The officer asked again his voice gruffer then when he asked the first time. "Mam!" His shoe hit my knee making me look up at him. His eyes widened at the sight of me. If the cracked lip and black eye weren't enough to cause him to be at a loss for the words the fact that I had a bloody hand print around my neck would have done it. I stared down at my crimson stained hands how did I get here? Where was Finn? Was he alive? What had Tommy dragged us into this time?
"Josephine. Josephine Shelby."

~~~
Two days earlier
~~~

No one was surprised with Dot decided to move back to Paris. Her and her husband had fallen in love there, and for Dorothy all small heath held was bad memories. What surprised me was the fact that Beth also was moving. Thankfully she was only moving to London meaning I could go there practically whenever I needed. Still I felt as if I was being left behind. Never had the Jennings sisters been so far apart. Maybe this was because of Fran. Nothing had been the same since she died. It was as if we all became our own people. This could be looked at as a good thing, but for me right now it felt like heartbreak and I didn't need more of that.
"To many things have changed," I taped another box shut looking over at my sister. Beth stopped what she was doing to come and hug me. Her baby belly was finally starting to show and I couldn't deny that she was doing what was best for her family. Yet I couldn't shake the feeling of abandonment. "I want her back Beth. I want life to be the way it used to be."

"Jo sweetie that's not how it works. Life moves whatever way it wishes and we have to take it day by day. Aren't you happy?" Beth kissed my temple her voice soft and soothing. She had taken on the mother role with ease.

"I thought I was." I mumbled. "But watching you and Dot leave makes me wonder if maybe I missed a road somewhere along the way."

"Jo Tommy called a family meeting." Finn popped his head into the room. "Sorry to steal her away Beth I promise to bring her back."

"It's no trouble. We were almost done anyway." Beth insists pushing me towards Finn. "Oh and Finn. Take care of her please. She's still our Jo even though we decided to share her with you."