Ch 23

Frances Jennings died of a gunshot wound after a week long stay at the hospital

Frances Jennings died of a gunshot wound after a week long stay at the hospital. To everyone's surprise Thomas Shelby spent his days and nights cooped up in the corner of the room hoping that she would recover. Unfortunately she never did and Thomas not only lost the current love of his life, but lost his first love as well. Some would say tragedy followed Thomas Shelby around like a lost dog. Others would claim it was due to a Gypsy curse bestowed on his family long ago. I didn't know what it was other than heartbreaking. How he still woke up everyday and went on with his life was a mystery. Maybe it was for Charlie. The boy still needed a father, but maybe it was also the stubborn Shelby blood. You couldn't knock them down no matter how hard you tried.

Dorothy moved to Fran's apartment in Paris in hopes of selling it. I think Beth and I knew that our eldest sister just needed some time away. She needed fresher air and small heath couldn't give that to her. Beth was keeping herself together. Maybe because she was waiting for the birth of her baby or maybe because at least one of us had to. I didn't know how I was. I felt like I was going through the days in a daze. Why couldn't this be a bad dream. Why couldn't I wake up.
"Josephine can we have a word?" Tommy stood in the living room a glass of whisky in his hand and his view plastered to whatever was going outside his window.

"Of course Tom," I stood beside him to scared to look him in the eye. The pain I would see in those crystal blues would surely break me.

"I'm going to need you to get more involved in family business. I'll set you up in the betting with Lizzie. It's the only way I can make sure eyes are on you at all times," he pulled me against him in an uncomfortable side hug. "I'm going to make sure the Jennings sisters don't lose any more okay."

"Tom Frans death wasn't your fault," I argued finally looking at him. He looked paler than usual. The bags under his eyes were the darkest I had seen and his eyes were either bloodshot from crying or substance abuse. "We don't blame you. Neither would she." I tried to assure him but I knew he would never believe me. Or if he did it would take years. "When do I start?"

"Tomorrow. 8:15. Please don't let Finn make you late," he kissed my temple and sent me on my way. I was left feeling empty. We all blamed ourselves for things out of our control. No one could have known about that shooter because if they did they would have stopped it. As much as we wanted to go back and change the past we couldn't we were stuck here without them.

"Jo you okay?" Finn questioned when he found me outside.

"Not overly," I sigh. "But in time."

"You asked me to promise you something the other day," Finn began. "I never got to. So here I am promising you Josephine Jennings I will never let this life consume me. I'll stay true okay."

"Oh Finn," I cried. "I'm starting to believe that isn't something that we can control."