Ch 17

"True love sadly doesn't happen happen for everyone," Dorthy began

"True love sadly doesn't happen happen for everyone," Dorthy began. "Only the lucky ones and Bethany my beautiful sister you are one of those lucky ones. I think it's safe to say all the Jennings sisters knew from the moment Jacob walked into our home that he had our Beths heart. I am so happy for the two of you. May your love flourish and your dreams bloom as your life together grows." She raised her glass of champagne before blowing Beth a kiss and sitting back down. I couldn't help but notice the sympathetic look she was giving Fran who was holding back tears at her words. Last night Fran had told us all about her plans for Paris of course we supported her. We always would, but we cried. How could we not.

"This will be you next Josephine," Fran elbowed me nodding towards Finn who was sitting with Jon not listening to what his older brother said, but instead watching me with a goofy grin.

"Oh shh it will be you I'm sure. All those French men will eat you up," I shook my head blushing. "You must bring him home first so we can see if we approve first though."

"Of course little fish. Of course."

"Can I have this dance Josephine?" Tommy stuck his hand out to me. I couldn't tell what the older man was thinking as I followed him to the dance floor. "I would like you to know I loved your sister very much." Tommy spun me around his words only loud enough for me to hear.

"Having loved and being in love are very different things Thomas," I sigh. "Tell me what changed. Tell me that that won't happen to Finn and I. Tell me lies if you have to. Just tell me something please."

"The war happened Jo, and as desperately as I wished I could have come home and been the same man for your sister I wasn't. I wasn't the man Frances deserved." Tommy stopped us mid song his hands resting on my shoulders. "Finn and you are different. I can't quite explain it. I just know okay." Tommy kissed my forehead and left me in the middle of the crowd of people trying to grasp what he just said. It was like the room went quiet and even though a minute ago everyone was laughing and happily dancing I couldn't hear any of it. All I could hear was Finn. The way he was laughing along with his brothers. The way he was sighing at whatever stupid comment they had just made.

"Jo?" Pol brought the noise back. "What's on your mind Jo?"

"The fact that sometimes things work out for people. Sometimes love actually happens. Sometimes the one is really the one and not just a lesson." I ranted walking straight towards Finn. "You need to come with me." I instructed grabbing the boys hand.

"Where are we going?" Finn asked his curiosity clearly peeked.

"There's something I want to do with you under the stars."