Ch 31

"Did you do it?" I walked into Tommy's office my heart pounding faster then a jackrabbits foot as I came face to face with all three of my brothers instead of just the one

"Did you do it?" I walked into Tommy's office my heart pounding faster then a jackrabbits foot as I came face to face with all three of my brothers instead of just the one. "Well I bloody asked a questions didn't I! Did one of you do it?!"

"Sit down Finn," Tommy demanded lighting the cigarette he had just perched in his lips. "Have a glass of whisky and let's have a chat. Man to man. You're a man aren't ya?" John and Arthur were chuckling in the corner enjoying my discomfort as I slouched  into the arm chair and waited for Tommy to say whatever the hell he was going to say. "I'm assuming you didn't like our gift then?"

"Did I like your bloody gift?! Course I didn't like your bloody gift I gave a fiancé the he'll you think you're doing. You wanna hurt Jo more?!" I hit my fists on the table making the room fall eerily quite.

"Having fiancés hasn't stopped no Shelby man before," Arthur spoke up. "She catch you? That's why your mad ain't it? You probably woulda pounded that girl right on your desk otherwise. Admit it Finn." Arthurs voice was cold and menacing as he spoke. His hands found my shoulders and he began to tighten his grip. "Your a Shelby aren't ya Finn?"

"I don't want whores on the side," I pulled away from my brothers grasp. "She's pregnant. That's my kid she's having I ain't gonna be our dad."

"Good." Tommy said flatly. "Be something different Finn. Be a man."

"I am a man! For fuck sakes whores don't make you men they make you whores!" I shouted making the room erupt in laughter.

"When did ya grow up Finn. Hey John look at Finn all grown up." Arthur mocked.

"Love makes you weak," John finally spoke. "Best keep that in mind little brother. "What we do doesn't really favour weak men."

"Let Finn and I talk alone," Tommy shooed our brothers out pouring us each a glass of whisky. I accepted the alcohol and sat back down my heart still pounding. "Johns right you know. Love makes us weak."

"So that means we shouldn't do it?" I dared. "I don't know who I would be without her Tom. She's my whole bloody world. Why the fuck did you send a whore to my office?"

"I wanted Jo to leave you. Something bad is coming  Finn. Didn't need another brother loosing a wife. Bring her to the next family meeting. Time she knows what this family is really all about."

"If you scare her away I'll never forgive you." I spat.

"If she chooses to leave small heath I'm sending you with. Clearly my tactics won't tear you apart so it's time for honesty."

"I wasn't aware you knew that word."

"I'm learning. I think we all could."