Ch 11

I think we are going to have to be secretly in love with each other and leave it at that, because the way Edwards eyes are burrowing into the back of my head as I hold Josephine close I know he despises me

I think we are going to have to be secretly in love with each other and leave it at that, because the way Edwards eyes are burrowing into the back of my head as I hold Josephine close I know he despises me. He is right in thinking my family is unsafe, and that kills me to admit, but I love her enough to not make her choose. I love her enough to be a shadow in the night and a warm breeze in the day. I love her enough to give her every bit of me in secret so she is not tossed to the street as if she were nothing.
"Your expression scares me Finn. What's on your mind?" Her voice is soft as her big eyes blink up at me.

"You are," I sigh. "And the way Edward disapproves." I shake my head before stopping our dance and pulling her away from the crowded ballroom. "He won't have it Jo. He will never approve."

"I don't care. I'm eighteen now it's my choice." She argues.

"He will throw you to the streets Jo. He hates me." I hold her face in my hands my eyes pleading with her.

"So let him! If he does not understand what we have is real. Let him throw me out! I do not care Finn. I thought you didn't either!" Her eyes begin to grow wet.

"I want to keep you safe," I dry her cheek before pulling her against me. "This is not me leaving you."

"Then what is it because it sure feels as if you're leaving me," she pulls away searching my face for answers.

"This is me promising you forever, but for now our forever must be in secret." I lean in to kiss her softly before pulling away and whispering. "Cause a scene love make it look convincing."

"Don't you dare break my heart Finn Shelby." Her words are only loud enough to hear as her hand hits my cheek with a loud smack. I can feel it sting the minute she pulls away.

"I wouldn't dare."