Ch 6

Catherine was watching me like a hawk as I interacted with Rodney

Catherine was watching me like a hawk as I interacted with Rodney. I was instructed to be prim and proper. There would be no swearing, no smoking and if offered a drink I could have one half glass of wine. It was pure torture. Rodney drawled on about his life in London. He was clearly a Mama's boy the youngest of three children. He had joined the army to follow in his brothers footsteps but was discharged due to being shot in the leg which now caused him to walk with a limp. For the most part he was an okay looking man. He still had most of the baby fat in his face for him being 22, he had an odd shade of green eyes that almost made me think of olives and an offset smile. I'm sure he would have been very handsome if he just learned to keep his mouth shut, but every word that left his mouth was mysosignistic. I had to keep a tight hold on my tongue to keep my true opinions to myself.

"Your step mother tells me you're looking for a husband," Rodney grins making me choke on my bite of salad. I swear my eyes pop out of there sockets as I try to process what has just left his lips.

"She is not my step mother. She's barely my aunt." I look around to make sure Catherine has left us alone in the dining room. "She's the harlot that's currently fucking my uncle so please I apologize for my language but do not to refer to her as such things. It's an insult." I say through gritted teeth. I can tell he's growing uncomfortable from my outburst but I could care less, I don't need him to like me. Hell I don't want him to like me. I want him to loathe my existence so he never comes back. "And I'm already promised to someone else. So no I am not looking for a husband."

"I should have guessed a girl of your caliber was already taken," Rodney sighs. "Shall we hit the pub. I've heard good things about the garrison." He stands up from his chair motioning to the maid to clear the table. I help her before rushing to grab my coat. "Will Catherine protest?"

"Most likely, but that's why I don't ask." I laughed walking to the door as quickly as possible. "Maybe we can find you a nice girl."

"I much prefer girls who aren't nice," the way that leaves his lips makes my skin crawl. It's like he's eyeing me up like something one devours I'm thankful we are going to a place I have protection.

"Where do you think you are going?" Catherine grabs onto my wrist.

"Rodney wishes to go to the Garrison. I figured you would want me to accommodate our guest," I give her my best fake smile. "Also please do not tell men I'm looking for a husband. I am very capable of finding one on my own thank you. I already have. Finn Shelby." I wink at her thinking about what Beth told me to do. I was instructed to tell Catherine I was engaged to Finn. Chances are the older women wouldn't look too much into it due to the fact my sisters have been telling her I've been seeing him for months and I spend most of my free time with the boy, but from the look on her face this knowledge is making her blood boil. "Come on Rodney we don't want the night to get to old."