Ch 9

Polly was the one to explain to me why I wasn't to go around the Jennings house for the next while

Polly was the one to explain to me why I wasn't to go around the Jennings house for the next while. I was on strict orders to do as told or I would lose any chance of seeing Jo again. The hope was Edward would come to his senses, but I was running out of hope. For the first week she had called around the house her voice always a whisper as she promised I was still the only one on her mind, but it was rounding three weeks and Edwards wedding was tomorrow along with Jo's eighteenth birthday.

"Finn you need to eat," Ada scolded as I played around with the food on my plate. I shoveled a small mouthful and smiled at her sarcastically before going back to just moving the food around. "You're just like your brothers." She groaned.

"That's the problem isn't it?" I snapped pushing my chair back.

"Things will work out you'll see." Ada tried her hardest to comfort me, but it was now falling on def ears. The more days that went by the further away Jo felt from me. Who was to say I wouldn't see her on the arm of some other man tonight. I was foolish to think she would wait. Jo wasn't that kind of girl. I hoped she would be for me though. I hoped I was worth it. "You'll see her today at the wedding."

"Am I even still allowed to go to that?" I snarked.

"Of course you are." Ada groaned. "Go wash up. We will leave at 1:00."

John had been feeding me whisky out of his flask as we waited to be seated. So far I had only seen Beth who waved at me excitedly before running inside. She was dressed to the nines as always dragging around her boyfriend Jacob who looked utterly exhausted.

"Perk up it's a bloody wedding," John hit me upside the head. "Have you seen my wife I seem to have lost her," he looked around not seeming to worried that Esme had run off again.

"Powdering her nose," I laughed hoping he would know I meant she off in the bathroom doing cocaine.

"Fuck sakes I told her not till the baby comes. Don't get married it just causes headaches," John groaned lighting the cigar he claimed he was saving for later. I guess now was later.

"That's not a very nice thing to say at a wedding now is it," her voice was like syrup. Sweet and consuming as she swayed in front of me her short blonde hair curled perfectly and her lips painted a devilish shade of red. I wanted to ruin every bit of makeup on her face. Tear away the shiny blue fabric from her skin and kiss ever inch claiming I would never let go of her again. "Finn I'm really going to need you to stop getting taller. I can barely make eye contact as it is." Jo laughed the smile that was spreading on her face made every worry I had melt away. She was perfect. She would always be perfect.

"Maybe you're shrinking?" I teased taking a small step forward. I leaned in so my lips were just beside her ear and whispered. "Happy birthday doll."

"Save me a dance tonight okay," she kissed my cheek. "It can be your gift to me."

"I'll save them all for you Jo." I yelled after her stopping her in her tracks.

"Like Ada loves Freddie." She called to me before disappearing into the chapel. I think Ada was right things were going to work out just fine.