part 32

shift was slow with only a couple ambo calls so far. everyone was so happy about stella being pregnant that they almost missed the bells when they went off "ambo 61, truck 81, engine 51, squad 3, battalion 25" it said all around the house. "it's a big one guys everyone load up" boden called as they got into the trucks.
they'd been at the firs for at least an hour and most of the victims were out. boden had stopped sending people back in and was just waiting for the last few people to come out, casey and stella, and some people from other houses. "the fire is well contained but you guys all need to get out soon" boden said on the radio. everyone was looking at the building waiting for the last people to come out. price and davis from squad 5 came out, then the two from truck 66, then the two from truck 43, then, no one, kidd and casey were still somewhere in the building. "casey, kidd hey out of there" boden radioed to them. at this point the building was still stable but only just. everyone there was standing and watching as the building collapsed on itself. 51 stood watching with tears in all their eyes, watching, waiting. "kidd?" boden said on the radio stuttering because of the tears "cas- casey?" brett said, also into the radio. severide fell to his knees when there was no reply and cruz put his hand on kelly's shoulder. as boden said to release the water something came on the radio "wait, chief, stop" stella said with a croaky voice.