Chapter 26.

**edited 17/01/2021**

Elle's POV

Friday 2nd November 2018

         "Where did you disappear on Halloween, anyway?" Delilah asked as we walked out of the coffee shop together after having a quick after-lecture drink. "Maya and I were gonna say bye before we left and you and Ace had just... gone."

 "Um I got a bit dizzy so he sat me down, got me some water and then took me back to the dorms. I'm sorry, I thought he told you," I lied as I pulled on my gloves, shielding my hands from the freezing weather. 

 She nodded. "It's fine, I knew you were safe with him so no big deal," she shrugged. 

 We walked further to the dorms when I turned my head to look at her. "Where are you tonight? We could grab some snacks, order take-out and watch some trashy movies?" I asked and she beamed, nodding happily.

 "That sounds perfect, I'm not in the mood to party tonight," she admitted, pushing open the door to the block of dorms. We walked up the stairs together, giggling as I pitched my case on why we should have Chinese take out over pizza.

 Delilah rushed in and pulled her secret box of candy from under her bed, throwing some random junk food on her bed. "What do you want to watch?" She asked and I shrugged.

 "You know what sounds amazing? A super crappy horror movie, like so bad it's not even scary," I smiled and her face lit up.

 "I know just the one!" She cheered, flicking on her television. She had a small TV that hung on the wall in front of her bed. She turned the lights off in the room and got under her sheets in bed, patting the empty space next to her.

 "One sec, getting PJ's on," I said. I slipped out of my day clothes and changed them for some fluffy pink and white pyjamas. Once I was nice and cosy, I climbed into bed next to Delilah and cuddled up to her, resting my head on her chest. "What movie are we watching?"

 "Truth or Dare, it has Lucy Hale in it. It's so freakin' bad," she said and I chuckled, keeping my eyes on the screen as she played the movie. Once it had started, we got the junk food open and began stuffing our faces with it.

 Around an hour later Delilah and I had cracked open a bottle of wine and munching on Chinese Takeout that had just been delivered, we basically ordered half of their restaurant. "So," Delilah hummed, both of us slightly buzzed from the wine. "I think Kit likes you," she said and I choked on my wine, nearly spitting it back into the glass.

 I forced myself to swallow it. "No way," I shook my head. I, of course, hadn't told her that Ace and I hooked up back at the party but I didn't think he would be too happy with me spreading that around.

 "No, seriously. Whenever you're not around he just talks about you constantly, asks if you're gonna be there, and the way he looks at you," she smiled. "It's actually quite sweet. I've never seen him like that with someone."

 "You think what you want but he doesn't like me," I shrugged and popped some orange chicken in my mouth.

 "Denial," Delilah sung and I laughed. "You need to get out there though, show Carson he hasn't gotten the best of you."

 I nodded. "I'm not really a confident person when it comes to guys," I admitted and she laughed, nodding.

"I can see that!"

 I poked my chilli beef around its container with a chopstick as she spoke. Ace and I had some weird thing going on but it definitely wasn't a relationship. I actually had no idea what it was but I did know that I missed the sweet intimacies that I got from Carson; the surprise pecks on the lips, the nights of cuddling and laughing, whispering sweet nothings into each others ears.

 "I guess I miss some of the relationship stuff but I don't know when I'm gonna be able to trust someone else," I admitted. "Carson wasn't just my boyfriend. He was my best friend before any of that happened, we were friends since we were kids and he was there through everything that happened."

 "You mean with your dad?" She asked. Delilah knew bits about what happened, like my father had died on an illness but I never spared the horrid details of what actually happened.

 "Yeah, and other stuff I went through. He just got me and he was always there, I never thought he'd do anything like that to me. Even if he didn't want me as a girlfriend, cheating on me is a next level of betrayal," I pushed the food away from me and instead picked up my wine, taking a couple large gulps. "Sometimes I just wish we hadn't of crossed that line into a couple. It would have been so much easier."

 Delilah nodded. "I get you but do you really want to be friends with someone that could do all that crap to you? If you never would have dated, you might never have seen the real side to him."

 "I guess," I nodded. "Enough of this soppy crap," I forced a smile onto my face. 

 "You're right. Shall we do something really childish, but super funny?" Delilah asked with an evil glint in her eye, I finished off my glass of wine and nodded excitedly. Delilah cheered and then grabbed her phone, she tapped in a few numbers before it began ringing. 

 "Hello?" Ace answered and I looked at her in confusion.

 "Hello Random Caller! This is Radio Disney, we were just calling to inform you that you are the winner of two One Direction Concert Tickets! Congratulations!" She said in a dramatic voice, I covered my mouth to stop my drunk giggles from tumbling out.

 "Lil, I have caller ID," Ace said boredly.

 "Lil? I am Radio Disney! To get your two tickets, you need to answer this one question correctly," she continued.

 "I'm going to hang up," he sighed.

 "If you hang up you will certainly not get your two tickets. Okay? Here is the question: which One Direction member would you prefer to bone?" She asked and at that point I had rolled onto my back and was howling in laughter, the alcohol probably spurring most of it on.

 "Bye Lil," he sung and then hung up the phone.

 "Do you think he knew it was me?" She asked and I wiped the fake tears from my eyes. "Come on, you have a go."

 I nodded and picked up my phone, I also dialled Ace's number until he answered. "Hey Elle, everything okay?" His voice filled the room and my heart leapt a little bit.

 "Hello?" I shouted down the phone. "I can't hear you, can you hear me? Is this Burger Land?" I asked.

 "What are you two doing?" He sighed.

 "I can't hear you, can we have some burgers?" I shouted even louder as Delilah began giggling uncontrollably. He hung up immediately and I found myself beginning to giggle also, feeling like a child at a sleepover again. "That worked so much better when we did them on landlines so they didn't have Caller ID," I pointed out through the laughter.

 "Best night ever," she hummed, coming down from her laughter.

 "The besest ever," I smiled back.