Chapter 14

If my fear was a sound it would be eathshattering.

There was screaming, shrill with terror and everyone in the gas station ducked in alarm. The gunshots were coming from outside, where the gas pumps were, so I instinctively jerked my head to the store windows, searching for the source of the noise.

There were two men standing in the parking lot with guns raised at each others heads. They stood just a couple feet apart and were yelling angrily at each other. I couldn't hear what they were saying but they were both probably threatening to shoot again. I guessed that the first few gunshots we heard was just warnings or missed shots.

While looking out the window, I realized that the white SUV the woman who drove us here was in was gone. She probably drove away in fear for her life. Not that I blame her or anything because I probably would have done the same thing in her situation.

I turned to Killian who had grabbed my arm and pushed me behind an aisle and out of sight of the window so neither of the armed men would be able to see me if they came inside

"Call 911." He ordered, taking a risky glance out of the window.

I hurriedly snatched my phone out of my pocket and dialed the authorities, explaining to them what was going on.

The shouting match between the armed men outside was growing louder but within a few minutes, the police pulled up, jumping out of their cars with their guns raised. They wasted no time in advancing and disarming the men, cuffing them and putting them into separate police cars.

"Come on." Killian said, taking my hand and pulling me out of the aisle once the fighting men were arrested. Neither of them had resisted the arrest but they both still looked angry as ever.

Two police officers entered the store to check if anyone had any injuries. Thankfully no one did, and we were all free to go. I was still shaking a little bit when the cops left but forced myself to push my fear away. I turned to Killian who was scanning our surroundings for any other source of danger.

When he was satisfied, he took my hand and walked me back to the bathrooms. He was being quiet and protective which made me wonder if the whole ordeal had scared him. I had never seen Killian afraid.

Once I finished my business we left the gas station, trudging through the cold on foot to get back to the car.

"Eris, walk on this side." Killian said, pulling me to his right side so that he was between me and the highway.

"What? You think a car is going to swerve off of the road and hit me or something?" I asked.

"You never know, and with your luck it's better to just be safe then sorry."

"Honestly, dying by getting hit by a car wouldn't be the worst way to go. If the collision is hard enough it's instant death and you won't feel any pain."

"Stop talking about death." Killian said, shooting me a look. "It's depressing."

"You're depressing." I said, nudging his shoulder playfully.

Suddenly, I felt something small and cold fall onto my nose. I looked around and saw that it had began lightly snowing.

"Look Killian!" I gasped in awe, pointing to the sky.

"Yeah, snow." He said, nodding.

I stuck out my tongue in attempt to catch a few flakes in my mouth.

"That's gross." He said with an amused look.

"It's hydration." I explained. "I love snow, it's so beautiful."