Chapter 24

By the time that the adults returned, we had a batch of cookies warm and ready for them. Mrs. Parker and Mrs. Lane entered the house with bags of newly bought Christmas decorations in their hands. Their husband followed shortly, working together to carry a very large live Christmas tree into the house. They brought it into the living room and placed it into the tree stand, screwing it in so that it would stand upright.

Victoria and Mace both got very excited when they were told to start decorating the tree.

"I'm putting the star up!" Mace declared, snatching the star out of his mother's hands when she retrieved it from a bag.

His sisters shoulders skimpy at his words. "But I wanted to!"

"You both can put it up, there's no need to argue." Mrs. Lane told them gently.

Mace sighed, dropping the subject and setting the star down before grabbing a few ornaments to begin decorating the tree, his sister did the same.

As they began decorating, Mr. Lane and Daniel sat at the kitchen table, consuming the cookies we made while conversing quietly.

Jax went to help his mother decorate the dining room, leaving it up to Killian and I to clean the house.

"Let's get the guest bedrooms first since that's where everyone will be staying." Killian said, grabbing a broom and a trash bag from a random closet.

I followed him upstairs and we made our way to our hallway.

"I do this room first, you do the one next door." He said passing me the broom.

I nodded my head before making my way into the bedroom. It was mostly tidy except for the excessive amount of dust on the furniture here and there. The place also needed to be swept and bed sheets needed to be placed on the bed.

I opened a drawer in the bathroom, retrieving a duster before cleaning off the furniture. Once I finished, I took a few comforters from the closet and put them on the bed. Lastly, I swept the floor, making sure the room was spotless before moving on.

I wonder how long Killian's family will be staying.

When I finished cleaning, I stepped into the hallway and into the next guest bedroom, repeating the process. My next few hours were spent cleaning the endless amount of rooms in this hall, humming quietly to myself as I worked. I was never one to hate cleaning so my work was almost enjoyable.

I was just making the bed in my seventh room when there was a knock at the door.

"Come in." I called, stopping what I was doing.

The door opened to reveal Mr. Lane. When he saw me he scowled, causing me to want to shrink under his gaze.

"Get out of my room." He growled.

"Oh, I'm sorry. I didn't know that you were staying in here. Would you like me to finish making your bed before I leave?" I asked, trying to sound a polite as possible.

My efforts were in vain, and the more I spoke the more angrier Mr. Lane seemed to get.

"I said get out!" He snareled.

I apologized once again, moving quickly to retrieve my cleaning supplies before heading for the door, slipping past him. As I did, he grabbed my wrist and pulled me back to yell in my face.

"And dont you EVER, talk back to me again, got it? If I tell you to do something you do it!"

When he finished, he let go of my wrist which was probably bruising at the pressure that he used to hold it, and pushed me away. He then bucked his head at me, causing me to finch and take a step back before he turned away to stomp into his room, slamming the door behind him.