Chapter 38

When Killian and I woke up we wasted no time to repack our things and get ready to leave. We knew we had to eat first though, and ordered room service to bring up some breakfast. We ate quickly, grabbing our things and checking out of the hotel shortly after. We then called an Uber to drive us the remainder of the way to my home.

I couldn't say I missed the small one story house, but I grew up in it and missed the memories it came with.

I remembered how I would cuddle in my room with my kitten before it died while my parents fought down the hallway.

Okay, maybe I don't miss the memories.

During the Uber drive, I attempted to recall as many memories from my home as I could. I would never imagine I would be returning so soon. In fact, when I left for college I didn't think I was ever going back.

After a while of dwelling in my thoughts, my racing mind was cut off by the Uber pulling up into my all too familiar gravel driveway. The house looked the same. The grass was dead and uncut as always and most of the bricks in the walls were old and cracked.

I shot Killian a nervous glance as we stepped into my yard after paying our ride. I recognized my mom's old purple van parked near the porch, looking as if it hadn't been used in ages. As we approached the front door, I began to hear loud yelling.

Nothing out of the norm.

I stepped closer and knocked on the door loudly, causing the voices to stop. I then heard shuffling and footsteps rushing to the door, unlocking it. When it swung open it revealed my mother standing there, wearing pajama pants and a hot pink blouse.

"Eris!" She exclaimed, her high pitched voice making me wince.

"Hi mom."

She gave me a once over, frowning in disapproval at what she saw. Then, she turned her calculating glance to Killian who was standing behind me with his hands in his pockets.

"Is this your slave- I mean boyfriend?" She asked, crossing her arms.

"Yes, this is my boyfriend." I growled, emphasizing the word "boyfriend" with a firm glare. "Can we come inside now, it's cold out here."

"Fine." She stepped aside and allowed us to walk in.

The first thing I noticed was the great mess. There were clothes and broken beer bottles scattered on the floor and the once white carpet was stained a disgusting shade of brown.

Embarrassment immediately rose in my chest.

Killian is probably disgusted.

"Don't mind the mess." Mom says, leading us into the living room. "It's all Franklin's fault. He doesn't know how to clean."

Suddenly, my father's voice yelled out from a separate room.

"It's a woman's job to clean!"

"Exactly, so why aren't you cleaning yet?" My mom yelled back.

I saw Killian hold in a snicker and look away, scanning his surroundings with an unbothered expression.

"Mom, why are we here?" I asked, taking a seat on the dusty living room couch.

"I told you, I have a surprise."

I blinked at her. "Well, what is it?"

"Stop being an impatient brat, we'll get to that later, tell me what you've been doing all these years. You've never given me a call."

"I've been a little busy with school." I reminded, making her roll her eyes.

"I don't care about that school of yours, tell me about him." Her sour gaze flicked to Killian, making him shift uncomfortably.