Chapter 39

⚠️

I blinked at Killian, feeling mixed emotions after hearing his words.

Mrs. Parker adopting my sister?

The idea didn't seem too bad at all. The Parker family was the sweetest family I've ever met. I knew Mrs. Parker would take great care of Athena and her and Daniel would love her endlessly. I also knew that Jax would simply adore her, especially considering how kind of a person he was. This idea of Killian's seemed to be perfect.

Athena Johnson would become Athena Parker.

There was only one flaw that stuck out on my mind.

"But if your parents adopt her, wouldn't that make us related?" I asked, looking up at Killian with a tilted head

He shrugged, "Not biologically."

I then nodded, knowing that this was the only option for my little sister, and the best one at that.

"What if your mom won't take her?" I asked.

"Trust me, she won't be able to turn her down. I'll call her now."

Killian pulled out his phone and dialed his mother's number, stepping away to explain the whole situation. As he did, I made my way back into what was now Athena's room. My mom was walking around with her aimlessly, looking mildly bored while dad was rocking in the rocking chair looking high.

I approached my mother and peered at my little sister's innocent face.

She had fallen back asleep and her previously pained expression had smoothed out.

"Can I hold her?" I asked, holding out my hands.

Without warning, my mom threw the baby at me, causing me to have to jump forward to catch her.

"Mom!" I yelled, as Athena was once again startled awake. Her wails began to sound again and tears began to poor out of her precious blue eyes.

"What?" Mom asked. "You asked for her."

"You don't throw a baby!" I snapped, turning away from her cold expression.

I allowed my gaze to fall down to Athena.

"Shh, you're alright." I whispered, pushing a stray curl out of her face.

She instantly quieted at the sound of my voice.

"That's right. You're okay." I cooed, smiling slightly when her big eyes met mine.

She sniffed a bit and then yawned, looking utterly exhausted. She was probably trying to sleep all day but kept getting thrown around.

I sighed, worry filling in my chest for the poor child. This was my little sister, and although I barley knew her, I loved her.

"How old is she?" I asked without turning to meet either of my parent's eyes.

"Oh, I don't remember. Franklin, when did that thing come out?" My mother asked.

"Was it four days ago or five?"

"Ugh, I don't know, you know I never keep track of the dates of unimportant things."