Chapter 21

I woke up with a start the next morning, jolting out of my dreams by the sound of loud yelling and a fire alarm going off downstairs. I hopped out of bed and ran out of my room, rushing downstairs to see the what was happening. Following the loud yelling, I reached the kitchen and an awful smell instantly hit my nose.

There was black smoke everywhere and some charred remains of who knows what on the stove. Flour was everywhere, blanketing the floor like snow while about a dozen broken eggs laid on the kitchen table, the gooey yolks dripping onto the tile below. Jax and Killian were arguing loudly while Daniel was yelling at them both to be quiet and clean up the mess.

I stood in the doorway in confusion, taking in the scenery before Jax happened to turn around and notice me.

"O-oh hey Eris!" He greeted, startled at my presence.

Killian and Daniel jerked around to look at me as well, unsure of how long I had been standing there.

"What's going on?" I asked, feeling tempted to hold my nose away from the foul smell lingering in the air.

"We were trying to make breakfast in bed for you and mom." Jax explained. "It kind of backfired through because Killian doesn't know how to cook."

"Don't blame this on me." Killian snapped. "I wouldn't have burnt the food if I wasn't too busy trying to prevent you from spilling the flour everywhere, which you did anyways."

"It was an accident!" Jax argued. "And I only  dropped the bag when Dad smashed all the eggs!"

"I only smashed the eggs because I tripped on something on the floor, which made me to fall on the table- all because I was trying to turn the stove off before the food began to burn." Daniel intervened.

"Well you were too slow." Killian growled.

"You should have been watching the food in the first place!" Daniel yelled.

Killian scowled. "I was watching the food! It's Jax's fault he doesn't know how to open a bag of flour."

Jax opened his mouth to chime in, anger clouding over his features before I interrupted, noticing a small flame erupt from the charred substance in the stove.

"Guys! It's catching on fire!" I yelled, instinctively rushing forward to try to put it out before it grew. As I moved, I slipped on an egg yolk and slammed onto the floor, my hand snapping painfully as it landed under me while I tried to break my fall.

I hissed in pain, yanking my hand up to cradle it against my chest.

"Eris!" Killian and Jax yelled at the same time, rushing to me as Daniel moved to put out the fire.

They both squatted down to my level and Killian reached out his hand to gently examine my wrist but yanked it back when I winced at the contact.

"Do you think it's broken?" Jax asked, concern filling his eyes.

"I don't know." I sniffed. "It really hurts though."

"Let me take you to the ER." Killian said, taking my uninjured hand to help me up.

I muttered a "thank you" before stepping back. I was covered in flour and there was a smashed egg yolk on my back somewhere making me shiver in disgust.

"Can I change before we leave?" I asked him quietly.

He nodded, placing his hand on the small of my back before walking me upstairs. Jax stayed behind to help Daniel clean the kitchen after he successfully extinguished the flame.

When we got to my room, I made my way to the closet, grabbing a clean shirt and a pair of gray sweatpants.

I threw them on my bed, letting my bad hand hang limply at my side as I attempted to pull the large T-Shirt I was wearing over my head. I was struggling to remove the fabric without causing pain to shoot up my wrist so I looked at Killian feeling a little helpless.