Chapter 10 - Red Riding Hood

I rarely used my powers on her

I rarely used my powers on her. I didn't like doing that, but sometimes she drove me to the edge. It was important to make her give up the role. I didn't want her anywhere close to him, even if it was just for a stupid drama night.

I recalled the auditions. Everyone kept staring at me, and I was reminded of the night I was brought to the headquarters of The Order for the first time. All those adults had their eyes on me, some whispering, others scared. All I could do was glance at was my father's back. I wanted to scream and run out, but I blocked my emotions to steel myself up. A void engulfed me.

The next three days were surprisingly peaceful. Her father returned on Friday and therefore much to my dismay, I had to drop her home. We had our first match on Sunday, the same day as the drama night.

"Pass the ball!" I barked out.

I was playing as the centre forward for the team. I had stopped after middle school, but we often practised at The Order. I was an agent under training till I turned eighteen and we had an entire evening academy for that. Football was considered as the best way to maintain our stamina, and there were no gender-biased teams. All girls and boys were treated as equals.

We were waiting for the second half of the game to start, already leading by 2-0. I crouched down to tie my shoelaces when my ears caught hold of a voice cheering my name at a distance, so I got up, and my eyes searched. I noticed Alice, waving at me, at the opposite end of the field.

As I had asked her to, she dropped the role and settled into playing the part of one of the girls in the background. She was dressed for that already. A light blue-coloured evening gown, the same colour as her sapphire eyes, touching her feet at the back and just below her knees in the front. She had tied her hair into a braid and let it dangle down her left shoulder. I could notice traces of a little makeup too.

Does she want to steal away the spotlight from the main actress?

At that moment, I could hear my heart thrumming in my chest loud. Without a doubt, Alice was a gorgeous girl. Not just a girl, that was seven years back, she was a woman. I had followed her for a while, but when I first met eyes with her at that fresher's party, into those ocean coloured eyes, as deep as one, after those seven years, I couldn't look away.

It was one of those awkward moments in a best friend's life when he doesn't know what he is feeling for her, but he can't watch her walk away with another man either. That was the problem with being a best friend, falling in love becomes complicated.

She sure was one of those women who make you stop in your trail and turn around to get a proper look, but I knew it wasn't love, not yet at least, because my powers still worked on her.

My monologue got halted by a sharp hit to my face. The football landed on my cheek and bounced away, and agitated, I glared at the direction it came from.