Extra Chapter 31.1 - If I Die Tonight

It was a few days before my first on-field assignment for The Order

It was a few days before my first on-field assignment for The Order. I was in Riannon's cabin while she was explaining me basic things about the company we were supposed to infiltrate.

"Where's Kai?" I asked as soon as my lessons finished. Riannon let out a chuckle to my question.

"He is sort of pissed off at you," She smirked, and I rolled my eyes at that.

He can really be such a baby at times.

Surprisingly, Kai did agree to involve me into the mission, but he gave me those blood-chilling glares for two days straight, which made me cringe. He was a strict teacher when teaching me self defence and had plastered an eternal pout over his face for the other times of the day.

"What is his problem! I want to be involved. It's my decision!" I complained to Riannon.

She smiled at me and gave me a borderline pitiful look. "It's not that you are lacking or that he doubts your skills. He is just a guy helplessly in love with you and fears for your safety. Even if the mission had a ninety-nine per cent chance of success, he would still be panicky about the remaining one-per cent."

"I know! But I can't just sit around letting him risk his neck! I WILL help him in any way I can."

She rounded the table and planted herself before me with a mischievous glint in her eyes. Pulling on my cheeks, she smiled again, "Which is exactly his thought. He wants to protect you in any way he can."

I snorted as I scrolled through my phone for any unread texts.

"Alice, there's one formality that's left," she said as she slid a piece of paper and pen towards me. My eyes darted from the table to her face as I gave her a confused look.

"Do I need to write some sort of a consent letter? Like I am doing it out of my own free will, etc. etc.?"

She laughed once again, her voice ringing through the silence of the cabin. "No, not that. But I need you to write a letter, a will to be more precise."

"A will? But I don't have any assets to allocate to my people. Wait, don't tell me, there are high chances that I may die in this mission?"

"No no, I mean, I can't say. But it's kind of a ritual for all agents before every mission."

I had heard of this in many places. I think I heard it happen for soldiers in the special forces. They'd address letters to their loved ones because nobody ever knew if they'd return. Last words at times are too precious to miss out on.

That was when the thought hit me, and I asked, "So, does Kai write one too?"

Her eyes gleamed with enthusiasm. "Every single time. And all his letters are addressed to you."

Are they?

"I mean, I am his cousin!" She continued. "Seydon is as close to him as a brother; he has a father, a grandfather! But the only person he wants to address his last words to is you."