Chapter 40 - Hamlet

It is said that you get eight years of bad luck when you break a mirror

It is said that you get eight years of bad luck when you break a mirror. I broke countless mirrors on my missions, not once bothering to think about that superstition. Perhaps I was a lucky bastard, or that superstition was just made up. But I never paid attention to any of those.

I wish I had. I wish I had accepted those superstitions. I wish I had gotten an uneasy feeling in my mind when I broke the glass last night. I wish I had run after her. I wish...

"Kaidon!"

"Kaidon!"

Umm... What? Who is that?

"Kai, wake up!"

Hmm? Mum?

"Shit!" I heard someone curse from under the blanket. That was when I felt the weight over my body. I opened my eyes and glanced down, and a scantily dressed Alice greeted me, her eyelids half-open and her hair dishevelled.

"Aunty Laila is coming up! Hide me!" she cried, flustered.

Confused, I blankly stared at her and then heard the doorknob turn. She jerked back and then hid herself to the head under my bedsheets.

I sat up straight and ran a hand through my hair. My eyes were burning, and my head was a mess. It felt like I hadn't slept in ages.

The door opened wide, and a face peeked in.

"Kaidon, get ready before you miss your college."

Mom?

"C'mon! Quick! And Alice dear, I know you are here with your boyfriend. You are welcome to have breakfast with us."

It really is mom!

Alice gently lowered the bedsheets and sheepishly glanced at her.

"G-Good morning, aunt Laila."

"Good morning, sweetheart. Don't worry about your mom. I informed her already." she winked at her and smiled. "Although your dad is going to be a little challenging to handle."

I had no clue what was going on. I just blankly stared as mom shut the door and Alice jumped up the bed.

"She's gonna judge me so bad!" she whimpered as she jumped around, collecting her clothes and pulling up the zipper of her skirt.