Chapter 24 - Through The Looking Glass

I clenched my hands into fists beside me when I witnessed him kiss their entwined hands in the hallway

So he successfully confessed after all.

No matter how hard I tried, but I couldn't be happy for my brother. I knew it just wasn't possible for me. I couldn't seem to beat the five years they spent together as kids. Yet I was failing to let go of this bitterness at seeing the woman I love in the arms of another, so I decided to express it as best as possible.

"You owe me a punch, Kaidon." I spat out while we waited outside the ladies restroom for Alice.

"You knew it was never happening between the two of you, Seydon."

Ah, he knew about my feelings for her.

I guess I made it too obvious. As if he was the one who read my thoughts, he continued. "You were never the careless one, Seydon. If you missed out on the thought crossing Alice's mind to shoot your leg that night, only one reason could explain it- you had fallen in love with her."

I looked away, annoyed at his observant nature. "Well, if you know that, genius, then do me a favour and at least pretend to not be in a relationship when I am there with you guys."

"I can't do that anymore, Seydon." He said, not looking at anything particularly. He was probably lost in her thoughts. "I can't help adoring her. You are the one torturing yourself by sticking around us. And don't even dare to deny that you would have done the same to me if she were yours."

But she is not!

Damn, this bastard! I can't wait for someone to place a hit on him. I would gladly take it up myself.

But I guess that would make Alice sad. Fuuuuuuck!! Why do her wishes matter to me!

He can't look after her all the time. I can't take any chances, and even if it pains me to stick together with them, I am going to do it regardless-

"I understand your feelings, Seydon. I won't blame you. You can't help falling in love with her. And if I were in your place, I don't know if I could have managed to pain myself by sticking together to protect her. So I am really grateful to you for that, little brother." He said as he smiled at me and ruffled my hair. I know he would have done it too. I knew the depth of his feelings better than he did.

I think I really saw a hint of gratitude in his eyes. Now I can't even hate him any more. It was the same as that day, when everyone was judging me for having slit the throat of my abusive caretaker, and it was only Kaidon who actually stood by me for having taken that initiative. He knew it all along; he was often the one who would bandage my wounds and invite me overnight to his place to escape Reiner.

He was always the perceptive one. We were close, no we are still close; our methods of handling our tasks differed, but I still looked up to him always. Hell, perhaps I even fell in love with her because he loved her. If it were anyone other than Kai, I would probably torture that guy to death, but it was only him that I could approve of, who I could tolerate having stolen Alice because he was my equal. No, perhaps even a better human than I was.