Chapter 11

Star came home later that night after work. She was exhausted and ready for bed.

"Crim, I'm home!" she called up the stairwell. Crimson did not answer. "Crim?" Star called again setting all her things down beside the couch. Still no answer.

Star walked up the stairs, went to Crimson's door, and knocked,"Crim?"

Star still got no answer, so she opened the door slowly peeking her head through to see inside the bedroom.

Crimson lay on her bed with her eyes closed, head phones in her ears, and feet proped up. Star smiled and sighed in relief.

As she was starting to close the bedroom door, Crimson opened her eyes and looked up. "Mom?" she said taking her earbuds out.

"Yes baby?" Star answered opening the door again looking at her daughter.

Crimson hesitated. She did not know how to ask her mother the question she wanted to know about. "Um... I've been wondering a lot... and.... " Crimson looked at her mothers concerned face staring back at her," and I wanted to know if .... if you could tell me about the way daddy ...."  Crimson did not want to finish, but there was no need for her to. Star knew exactly what she was asking. She knew the day would come when she would have to explain how Andy died no matter how much she dreaded it.

Star sat down on the bed beside her daughter, and looked into her green eyes heavyheartedly. "You know that dream you have? That nightmare?" Star said. Crimson nodded, and she continued," How that girl .... "

Sta started tearing up and her voice cracked. She relived that terrible moment everyday since it happened, but she had never spoken about it until now. She sniffed and continued," I knew that girl.... she worked with me at the Inn down the road... her name was Ansley.... I always felt something strange and .... well, evil about her... but I never suspected that to ever happen...."

"Momma, I'm so sorry," Crimson said tearing up herself hugging her mom tightly. There was a long silence between them both. Then Crimson remembered the reason why she asked her mom the question. "Momma?" she said looking up at her.

"Yes baby?" Star replied kissing her daughter on the forehead.

"I forgot to tell you about the call today... it was the reason I wanted to know about Daddy...."

Star looked at Crimson confused," What was it?"

"Um... the women's prison from Chicago called today. Ansley requested a meeting before she was exicuted....." Crimson said in a low voice.

Star was silent for a little while. Then she looked at Crimson and sniffed her running nose from the tears she just cried. "Thank you, baby," she said kissing her on the forehead again and standing. She ran her fingers through her hair and took a deep breath. "Well, sweetie I'm going to go to bed.... I'll see you in the morning. Goodnight, and I love you," Star said heading for tthe door of Crimson's room.

"Okay, Momma. Goodnight. Love you too," Crimson said. She had not expected her mom to change the subject that quick. Especailly the subject that it was on, but she understood completely and did not blame her mother for doing it. However, she wanted to know whether she was going to go to the meeting with Asnley. Crimson wanted to go too so she could know what Asnley had to say to her mother.