Chapter 3

Mom planned reservations at one of those lavish hibachi places where they cook in front of you that most people go to for these sort of special occasions. I don't even want to think about how much this is going to cost or that all of my family has to sit around together in the same area for at least a half hour. Maddy, being the wonderful best friend she is, decided to partake in this evening of misery for the greater good of my sanity. She could have easily met me later at the graduation party, but I guess she knows better than to leave me alone to suffer like a true queen.

Everyone has shown up and has been seated except my father and his wife. Mom makes sure to sit in the chair furthest away from the two empty ones we left for them. I sit beside Maddy who is next to my grandparents and aunt. Dad finally shows up after the waitress takes our drink orders. He apologizes kindly for being late to the restaurant and takes a seat.

Our eyes lock and I see the nervousness on his face. His wife, Lily, has her hand wrapped tightly around his arm like she's scared she's going to get lost. She doesn't speak much around my family, which is good because knowing her it won't be something nice.

 In person. Lily gives off the impression of being the sweetest person on the planet. She has a soft southern accent, but speaks low so it's hard to hear her unless you're listening closely. You will never see her in pants because her entire wardrobe is dresses and skirts. She doesn't cake herself in makeup but she wears just enough that you can tell she cares about her appearance. Her hair is perfectly styled for every occasion and she never leaves the house without a pocketbook. She's not very great around people. I don't think she thinks highly of us at all. They haven't been married for too long so I am appreciative for not being raised by her. I can't even imagine what I'd be like if I was.

"You look beautiful Bree." Dad speaks up.

The waitress brings out the soups and salads as I smile and mouth thank you from across the table. He looks uneasy at my decision to not speak out loud, but it's a little overwhelming being the only one talking when there are so many of us. Maddy is steadily texting on her phone. 

Trying not to be nosy, I nudge her arm gently and ask what's got her attention.

"Emma said they switched the location of the party..." she says slowly and looks at me.

"That's not a big deal. Where'd they switch it too?"

She grits her teeth and shows the screen to me. I wait for my eyes to focus on the tiny text and almost feel my heart drop.

"Ben's? Seriously." I scoff.

She laughs to try to comfort me but honestly I don't think I'm going to be able to stand it. "C'mon, Bree. You knew he was going to be there anyway." She defends.

"Well yeah and it would have been easy to avoid him. Now I'll be stuck at his freakin' house."

I almost slipped into my sailor mouth, which I really try hard not to do in front of my family. I don't think I curse that much, only when I'm pissed off. Which would be right now.

"It will be fine. We don't have to stay over."

"Yeah, you bet we won't." I mutter and take a hard jab at my salad.

"Is everything okay girls?" Mom asks and I turn my head to her.

She knows all about Ben. We dated throughout high school and up until freshman year of college. Most nights I swore I was going to marry him. After Selena died and I went through my angst and depressing phase, he really showed his true colors. He's never grieved before and didn't know how to handle someone who was. He told me that I was too much of a mess to deal with and he wanted to make himself available for college. Then he ghosted me for two years. I got a DM from him a few months ago, but I refused to fall back into his little games. I've gone so long without seeing him and I am not going to let him ruin graduation.

"Everything's great mom."

Just because my mother knows most of my business, doesn't mean I need to let anyone else at this table in on it. I get berated enough from my father about my decision to drink even though I've been the legal drinking age for over a year now. My dad has such a distinct image of what his daughter is supposed to be and I feel like if he only knew what I've gotten myself into since high school, I would be disowned on the spot.

The chef pulls his portable tray up to the grill and greets everyone. He asked if we were celebrating anything tonight and dad answered for everyone saying it's for me and Maddy's graduation. He threw a few sly remarks about finally being in the grown up world and went over everyone's orders. Maddy was back on her phone but this time I know she isn't talking to Emma. I always know when she's talking to a guy because she'll keep her lips parted slightly and a small smirk will form every couple of minutes. I swear if this girl ditches me at another party to go hang with some guy, she's paying our first rent all by herself as compensation for wasting my time.

After a year of searching, Maddy and I finally saved up enough money to get an apartment downtown. This way, we'll be closer to more opportunities and I won't have to drive almost an hour to get to work everyday. Maddy was able to get a job as an assistant for a local art studio down there. The girl is nuts about art history, which is what she majored in, and she hopes to have her own studio one day. I told her that she probably needs a backup plan. It's an amazing idea and she would be fantastic, I'm just worried it wouldn't be able to keep up with the rent. We've always wanted to live together and I trust her immensely, I just need to stay on my toes because nothing about adulthood seems easy and it's coming at us in full throttle.

:Revised