Chapter 12

"That's about everything. We can get your car up here some time tomorrow. When do you have to work next?" Mom asks and takes a sip from her water bottle.

We broke a sweat moving all of these boxes and furniture into the apartment.

"I don't work until Monday, actually. I took the weekend off. I figured I'd want to relax and get settled in." I answer and hop on the couch.

I don't know what kind of leather this thing is made of, but it's the most comfortable material I have ever been on. For mom's sake, I have to at least act like I hate the thing. I'll thank dad again later.

"Hell yeah. We're going to a club tonight!" Maddy yells excitedly and lifts her hard strawberry lemonade in the air.

Dad chuckles and taps his root beer against it as mom shakes her head.

"As long as you two be careful and don't drink and drive." She says.

"Don't worry, I know a guy who works for Uber. I'll just hit him up." Maddy replies.

Hopefully this isn't the same guy who was supposed to get us home last time that never even showed up. I'm not going to ask her about that in front of them.

"Alright, well we better head out. You two behave." Dad says and walks over to ruffle my hair.

I giggle and swat at his hands, barely avoiding the bottle he's holding. He sets it down, grabs his keys, and heads out. I look back over at mom who is staring intently at my father leaving the apartment. I get up and make my way over to her.

"Thank you for your help today. We really appreciate it."

She focuses her attention on me and smiles warmly.

"Of course, sweetheart."

I wrap my arms around her and hug her gently. She's wearing her favorite perfume. I'm trying my best not to assume why though I really wish she would tell me.

"Drive back safely and let me know when you're home. I'll be over around noon tomorrow to get my car."

"Sounds good. See you then."

She kisses my cheeks and heads out. I rush up behind her to close the door and watch her go. As soon as her car leaves the lot, I face Maddy who is already downing another Mike's.

"You're probably going to get hammered in a few hours so what's the point of drinking those?" I ask and raise my eyebrows.

"I like going in with a little buzz. It takes the edge off. It's science." She responds and takes another swig.

I laugh and cross my arms.

"It's alcoholism."

She sticks her tongue out and disappears down the hallway to her bedroom. We got most things situated in our rooms besides the boxes of personal belongings left in the corners. I managed to get my clothes hung up and put away while Maddy and mom were setting up the kitchen. I'm already completely in love with everything about this place and we've only just gotten here.

Mom gave me one of her old favorite rugs to put on the hardwood floor of my room. I hate wearing socks but my feet are always freezing. She thought it'd help me out a little to avoid stepping on the cold floor as much as possible. I could probably just stop being a wuss and put some socks on. There's plenty of time for change, I guess.

After going through literally every piece of clothing I own, I have yet to find something to wear for tonight. Maddy's music is blasting from down the hall and I can hear her loud, tone deaf voice clear through the walls. I laugh under my breath and flip through my outfits one more time. I decided not to go overboard because it's our first time going to this club downtown and I hate standing out. I doubt I would ever stand out in a room, but I still don't like to risk it for my own personal reasons.

"You have got to wear the black dress." Maddy's voice startles me from behind and I almost jump out of my skin.

"Definitely not wearing that. We're going to a club." I say and face her.

She walks over and grabs the old familiar hanger carrying one of my favorite dresses on it. The infamous black dress has been through many life events. I got it for my 17th birthday from my aunt Sophia who spent the entire year roasting my wardrobe before giving me something "more mature" to wear right in front of my parents. I swore to them I wouldn't wear it until I actually became more interested in boys and wanting to grow up a little. Then I ended up wearing it to prom, high school graduation, my first date with Ben, and the night I lost my virginity. Somehow, after five years it still fits perfectly.

"You have to. You just graduated college and this is celebration time. Besides, that thing is very sexy."

I laugh and roll my eyes. I snatch it from her hands and hang it back in the closet.

"I am not wearing that to a club. If it gets messed up, I'm gonna be pissed."

"Messed up how?" She asks and sits on the edge of my bed.

"Alcohol, vomit, food, or literally any bodily fluid."

Maddy throws her arms in the air, accepting defeat for the argument.

"Alright! Fine. What are you going to wear then?"

I sigh under my breath and take one more look. I pull out a navy blue dress that is cut to fit right above the knees and is perfect for casual occasions. I hold it up to her and shrug. Maddy stares at it for a second and strokes her chin.

"I still like the black dress better, but that will work."

I give her a thumbs up and hang it on the doorknob. She climbs off the bed and wraps her arms around me tightly.

"I'm so glad we did this. I'm glad you're my best friend." She says softly as she buries her face in my shoulder.

I smile slightly and pat her back. She may be crazy ninety percent of the time, but there's no one like her. There's no one else I would want to do this with. I lucked out having a friend this close and caring that we're lucky enough to move in together and not have to worry about random roommates out to accidentally ruin our lives and first chance at freedom. We still have our struggles and stuff, but I truly believe this friendship is unbreakable.

"I'm getting in the shower." She says and pulls away.

I watch her leave as I take a seat on my bed and take yet another look around my unfinished room. It's far from perfect and I still have much to set up, but as of right now- it's mine. I worked for this and I got this. This is the start of my official adult life and just another step closer to owning my own home one day.

Revised;