Chapter 98

"It's about damn time I found you." Miles whispers and quickly switches off his light.

I laugh and grab the free hand he's holding out for me to help me to my feet. "I thought I was a goner."

"You would've been if it wasn't me. You went right into the ground."

"Really, Miles? I hadn't noticed!" I tease him.

He shushes me and covers my mouth with one of his hands. "I saw Henry pass through here not long ago. I almost got him but I was more focused on finding you."

"I'm pretty sure we're the only team left. The others got eliminated pretty fast."

"Good then this should be easy. Let's go."

He takes a hold of my free hand and walks me quietly through the woods. I was kind of relieved for a second thinking I was out so I could escape to the warmth. I guess I could actually try to win now.

"Henry always hides in sector three. It's his lucky number. He always ends up going back to it." I whisper.

"He wouldn't be that predictable, would he? Since you guys play this every year?"

I shrug and swing our arms back and forth. "He's not very bright. Let's just try it."

I point my light on the tree next to us for a second to see where we are. We're only in sector five. We could be at three in less than a minute.

I nod my head to what I believe is west. "This way." 

Sector three is in a weird area because it has the tallest trees but the ground is really uneven. You can hide in the grass and be just fine. This spot is too good so everyone avoids it because it's overused and the first place where everyone looks. I don't expect Henry to be here. I do expect him to be around at some point though.

"Are we just going to stakeout until he comes by?" Miles asks me.

"Is that a bad idea?"

He made it sound like it was. Maybe he's just as anxious as I am to finish this fucking game. I just want to eat s'mores and watch fireworks.

"We should keep walking around. We will be more likely to find him."

"If he's hiding then he'll hear us and get us both out."

He's right. I kind of want him to.

"I'm okay with that. I really want some chocolate."

"You're gonna give up? We're this close to winning!"

I already knew we were being too loud but when I hear more leaves crunching underneath a pair of feet close by, I realize we're about to get caught. I drop to my knees behind one of the thicker trees and pull Miles down with me. He grunts and flops back on his ass. Footsteps run past us.

"I'm not losing this." He whispers and quickly jumps back up to his feet.

He turns on his light and shines it over Henry. "Dammit!" He yells and throws his flashlight to the ground. "I knew I heard you bastards! I should've known better."

Miles grins and looks back at me. I wipe the leaves off my pants and laugh. "Guess that's game over, then?"

"See you up front." He mumbles and takes off towards the entrance.

I lift my hand in the air and collide it with Miles. "We killed it!"

"How many people did you get out?" I ask and start walking.

"I got Rayna and almost had Tyler but I think someone else got him before I could."

"I got Aaliyah and Sandy. I think Peyton got Tyler."

He stops in his tracks. "Who got Peyton out?" He asks.

A bright light washes over the both of us. I flinch and put my hand over my face.

"No one." Peyton says as she lowers her flashlight.

I turned to Miles who was still trying to adjust from the light.

"Well, damn." He mutters, rubbing at his temple.

I shake my head. "You've got to be kidding me." I laugh.

Peyton grins and takes off to the entrance.

How did we not notice that she was still running around out here? More importantly, how did she manage to be the only one left in the first place? I've got to stop underestimating people.

"Let's go back before my fingers fall off." I start back towards mom's yard.

Everyone is huddled around talking and laughing, waiting for us to return. Peyton strolls out before us and holds her hand up to high five Rayna. Henry's mouth drops when he finally realizes what happened.

"No way." he spits.

"Yes way. That's what you get for talking mad shit." she teases and ruffles his hair.

Sandy laughs and nudges her shoulder. "That was slick. Good job."

She hands over the envelope, leaving Peyton beaming with excitement. Rayna is even more ecstatic because now she's won two years in a row. Peyton tears it open and pulls out two tickets.

"Oh my God! It's fucking cruise tickets!" Rayna yells and jumps up and down.

"What? Are you joking?" Henry grumbles, snatching one of the tickets from Peyton's hand.

He examines it carefully and his scowl intensifies. "To Fiji. They really went overboard this year."

I bet Maddy wishes she would've shown up now for the chance at that. She's going to be pissed when I tell her that cruise tickets were the winning prize. Not as pissed as Miles seems to be though. I've never actually seen him get too upset or angry about anything. I think he's just really disappointed because we were sure we had won.

"Time for a drink. I need one. Or five." Henry sighs and walks towards the cul de sac where the real party is.

Sandy takes no time before catching up with him to start their own party antics. Everyone else ends up separating, leaving me and Miles to tour the place on our own. I introduced a few people to him and wandered around to take a look at the finished setup. There's a few games out that we could play if we wanted to while waiting for the main event. There's plenty of food and drinks that I'm surprised Miles hasn't asked to dig into yet. I'm sure he's starving by now. I know I am.

I make us a couple of plates with burgers and send him off to the drinks to grab a few sodas.

"Isn't that William's son?" a lady asks from the other side of the buffet table.

It takes me a second to comprehend who she was talking about. The woman she's talking to looks off to the side where Miles is digging through the cooler.

Revised;