Chapter 35

I fell asleep in Miles' arms twenty minutes into the movie. This was the most at peace that I've felt all week and I wanted it to last for as long as possible. I would have stayed longer but I realized how I hadn't eaten since this morning and the starvation was starting to settle.

I shift out of Miles' grip and watch him jerk. He must have fallen asleep too. He looks at me and stretches his arms. "You good?" He asks and yawns.

I giggle at the messy bunch of curls sticking up on his head and nod.

"I'm perfect, just hungry. What time is it?" I respond and look around for my phone.

"I think it's like 6:30."

I grab my cell off the nightstand and check the notifications. Maddy hasn't messaged me at all. Of course.

"Do you want to get something downtown?" I suggest and watch his lanky body rise from the bed.

"Yeah, I've got no other plans for the day." He says and smiles.

He's lucky he has such a flexible job that he's able to have days where he's off at noon and can do whatever. I'm thankful he chose to spend that time with me again.

"Great, I'm going to just clean up real quick and change my clothes. I'll be ready in ten minutes." I tell him and walk out.

I wash my face off and put on very light makeup to cover up the dark spots under my eyes. Those opening shifts are really starting to get to me.

I'm out and dressed at the time I told Miles I would be, making sure I'm not wasting his time by keeping him waiting. I know this isn't exactly a fancy date night, I just couldn't help but wear one of my nicer outfits.

"Damn, you are gorgeous." He says softly and reaches his arm up above me.

I laugh and reach up to grab it so that he can spin me around. He does that and more when he pulls me into both of his arms to kiss me.

"Not too bad yourself." I reply and kiss his lips one last time.

We walked out to the car just in time for my phone to start going off. I quickly grab at it to see who it is, hoping it would be a message from Maddy. Lana is calling me. She only calls when she needs something.

"I'm so sorry. I gotta take this." I mumble and lift the phone to my ear. "Yeah?"

"Hi Bree. Look, I've got something really important to take care of tomorrow and I won't be able to work my shift. Jeff told me I needed to get it covered so could you do it or not?"

I don't know why I assumed Lana would start being nice to me after our rant session at the bar. I had some high hopes, I guess. They're immediately shut down.

"Sure, what time is it?"

"It's 7-3. Jeff opens."

Yay, I wanted nothing more than to work an eight hour shift with our new manager.

"Alright, yeah. That's fine." I tell her.

"I appreciate it." She says grimly and hangs up the phone.

I roll my eyes and set it in the cup holder.

"What was that all about?" Miles asks and keeps driving.

"Lana asked me to work her shift tomorrow. It's nothing, she just seemed kind of vague as to why she can't work it. It's not my business."

I grab his free hand and hold it firmly. He smiles and keeps his focus on the road.

"Aww, you're such a great employee." He teases and squeezes my palm.

I chuckle and roll my eyes. "Shut up."

We ended up at Olive Garden after being too indecisive of where we actually wanted to eat. I can't remember the last time I've been here so it was a real nice treat to have the chicken alfredo for the first time in forever. It was just as amazing as I remembered. Just not as wonderful and addictive as their breadsticks.

"Do you want another breadstick?" Miles asks as he removes one from the basket and holds it up in front of me.

I'm convinced he can read my mind.

"Is it the last one?"

I'm not a stingy bitch. Besides, I think I've eaten four already and if I keep going at this rate then I won't be able to finish the rest of my pasta.

"Yeah, but you can have it." He offers and pushes it closer to me.

"Nooo, you can have it. I've had plenty." I admit.

He pulls it back and splits it in half with the butter knife.

"You're so extra, just eat the damn breadstick." I snap and laugh.

He shakes his head and tosses it on my plate before taking a huge bite out of his half. I keep laughing.

"Do you want any dessert? Those little doughnut things are delicious." He asks with a mouthful.

"Doughnut things?"

"I forgot what they were called. You dip 'em in chocolate or something. They're so good."

I laugh again and take another bite of my pasta. "Yeah! Order your little doughnut things when the waiter comes back. I'll try them."

They're called Zeppole and the waiter didn't find it amusing when Miles tried to explain what it was without knowing the name. They didn't disappoint at all and were delicious; now probably my new favorite dessert. They're like soft and doughy churros covered in powdered sugar that you dip into this rich chocolate sauce. I felt my sugar rush coming on just from one bite.

"Okay you're right. These things are fire." I admit.

I try not to eat too many and end up getting sick, so I cut myself off after three. I'm on my last bite and I can feel chocolate sauce on the corner of my lips. I reach over for a napkin to wipe it off when I notice Miles staring at me and smiling again. Warmth washes over my cheeks and I quickly wipe it off.

"You're really cute." He tells me and reaches over to get the remaining residue I had left behind with his finger.

I thought it would be weird to sit on the same side of the booth but I actually prefer being this close to him. If anything, it feels less lonely.

"You mispronounced 'train wreck.'" I responded.

He shakes his head and turns my chin toward him gently. Now he's way too close and I still don't mind. "You're literally perfect."

Why is he being so gushy? Oh my God, I'm really bad at romance. I don't even know what to say. Thank you? You're perfect too? Not as perfect as you? These are horrible responses.

"I love you." 

Revised;