Chapter 42

Miles returns from the bathroom when he finishes changing into his swimsuit. He also had changed into a white t-shirt. It was the most form fitting shirt I've seen him in and damn it looked good.

"Are you going to change?" He asks and slides on his flip flops.

"Yeah, sorry."

I brush past him with my suit in my hands and get into the bathroom. Everything was beach themed there. The soap container, the toothbrush holder, the shower curtain, the toilet seat cover, and even the rug was a starfish. I can't even blame this woman, the beach is pretty fantastic.

I quickly get changed into my white bikini and tie my hair up into a loose, messy bun. I throw on one of my bigger shirts that goes a little down my thigh to at least walk down dressed in before we get to the water. Miles is waiting for me by the stairs when I come out. He grabs my hand and walks me down the steps to the back door.

The backyard was just as impressive as the house itself. She has a whole inground pool and jacuzzi with palmetto trees lining the back. There's a spot for bonfires and plenty of outside furniture to sit at. I can't imagine the parties she has here if she was even into that kind of thing.

Miles leads me past the pool to the wooden walkway. It descends through a quarter mile of trees and opens up by the sand. The sound of the waves grows more intensely as we near it. I'm so excited I was almost tempted to let go of his hand and run down there by myself.

"So why Myrtle Beach?" I ask and break the peaceful silence.

"She loves it here. Her family grew up in Lugoff so they would take trips out here every summer. When my grandparents passed away, she wanted to move here with me but my dad didn't want her to because it was too far away from him."

"I thought they were never married."

I remember everything he told me on our first date. I try to remember everything in general.

"Yeah, they weren't. My mom got pregnant with me when she was 15. My dad was her high school boyfriend even though they didn't even go to the same school. He swore he never wanted to get married. I guess that changed when he met his wife, Melissa."

I swing our hands back and forth and nod slightly. We reach the end of the dock and step down into the sand. I step out of my flip flops and set them to the side where some other shoes were. The breeze reaches us right away and I feel the light mist hit my face. I giggled and looked at Miles, whose eyes were watching me intently.

"You seem excited." He says.

"I am! I haven't been to the beach in forever and the weather is fucking perfect."

"Well quit talking then and let's go!" He urges.

He pulls his shirt over his head with one movement and tosses it in the sand. He takes off down the sand towards the water. I laugh and yank my shirt off as well to follow him down. The water washes over my feet and I squeal, not realizing how cold it would be. Miles makes his way over and sweeps me off my feet. I laugh and wrap my arms around his neck to keep me steady.

He dips us in just in time for a wave to wash over. I drop my legs down and wrap them around his waist. He moves his hands to my lower back, sending a chortle between us.

"You're going to pay for that." I threaten and run my hand through his wet hair.

It's much longer when it's wet while the curls are undefined.

"Ooh, I'm so scared!" He snickers.

"Oh yeah?" I take both hands, put them on the top of his head, and dunk him down into the water. He tightens his grip, moving his hands further down to my ass. No way that was accidental.

He shoots back up and whips his hair out of his face. He lets go of me and wipes the water from his eyes. "Alright, alright. You got me!" He says and laughs.

"You got me too." I responded.

Does he even realize what he did? I'm not necessarily fortunate when it comes to the size back there but I'm definitely not flat. He had to have felt something.

Fuck, why do I care so much? I'm enjoying time with him. I don't have to con my way into his pants. He's my boyfriend and he told me he wasn't ready so I have to respect that. I do respect that.

I guess I'm just not used to being rejected by someone that I'm currently dating. I've never had any trouble getting guys before, even if I did stay with the same one all throughout my teenage years.

Me and Ben's relationship was so complicated that I have trouble realizing what's fucked up and what's not. I can't keep doing that. It isn't fair to Miles that I compare them like that. I swear that I'm over it.

"You kids okay out there?" Lauren yells from the shore.

She's standing alongside a taller woman who looks to be around the same age with jet black hair. She's wearing a navy blue one piece and one of those sunshade hats you find at the gift shops.

"We're great, mom! Thanks!" Miles calls back.

She gives us a thumbs up and they continue walking down the beach.

"How long have they been friends?" I ask and face him.

We're far enough now for the waves to have settled down a little so we're able to just drift and talk.

"Since middle school. They met in 6th grade and became best friends immediately. Penny used to babysit me if my mom wanted to go on a date or something, which she didn't do often but she was always at the house hanging with my mom so she spent a lot of time with me. She's really sweet."

"And she's not married either?"

I know this is none of my business, but now I'm intrigued. It stems mainly from jealousy on how she could have such a luxury life like this at her age.

"She was. Her husband passed away seven years ago in a car accident. He was pretty wealthy and she didn't want to be alone so she asked my mom if she wanted to get a house down by the beach."

I nod and keep moving my arms and legs to keep me afloat. I'm already tired and we haven't even been out here that long. I can't believe how out of shape I've become.

"That's really sweet to have a friend like that. I totally get it because with Maddy-"

Maddy. 

I'm a total bitch. 

Revised;