C H A P T E R 3 9

This might be the last time she up there😬😭😂

It felt wrong.

That was the only way I could describe us sitting here.

It was wrong.

Wrong timing. Wrong reason. Wrong mood.

I was supposed to take her here after we got married. Introduce her to Pops and have her eat some of his famous pancakes straight out the kitchen.

Not...not this.

We sat nervously in the corner of Darwin's, neither of us able to meet each other's eye.

After last night, I didn't even know how to look at her without imagining...

I felt my fist clench.

I hope it isn't true. God I hope she was doing the same shit I was.

Pops placed our normal meals in front of us, both of us giving him a cordial smile before returning to the previous silence.

"So this is where you got all that good food?" She gave me an awkward smile, looking down at her favorite pancakes before looking back up at me. "Why didn't you ever bring me here?"

Sighing, I ran a hand through my hair. "Every person I've dated that I've brought here has either been taken from me or left me." Looking around, I couldn't stop the year that ran down my face. She went to wipe it away, but I beat her to it, flicking it away myself with a sniff. "I was going to wait till we got married so you were stuck with me but...guess that doesn't matter now, does it?"

Silence.

It was tense. Neither of us could look each-

Her hand slid on top of mine, forcing me to make eye contact again.

"I didn't fuck Hikaru."

Letting out a humorless chuckle, I nodded, "I figured. I didn't fuck Zen either." She sighed in relief so I continued. "When I calmed down, I knew we were just saying shit to hurt each other."

Wiping a tear from her face, she sniffled. "What did you mean by me and Zen having the same ring size?"

Reaching in my pocket, I grabbed the small black box, showing it to her and opening it; placing it right in front of her. "The day I saw her, she helped me pick this." I chuckled. "I dated the both of you, I know how y'all hands feel in mine. I figured it'd be easier to use her finger than sneakily ask you for your size."

Looking up, I saw tears streaming down her face as her hand shakily reached out and grabbed the ring. Sliding it onto her finger, she stared at it, even more tears cascading down her beautiful face.

"It's perfect."