Part 11: The Case Of Sekaiichi Death

*NARRATED IN MARK'S POV*

"Hey, guys! You know me! The charming Mark Sacco from CGHS, Toronto, right? No? Well, that's fair. How could you remember me? After all, I didn't do anything significant in this story. All I did noteworthy was got shot on my arm by Hex. I never got my chance to fight since he had an unfair advantage.

I didn't have any family drama or love life issues like Olivia and Ryla. I didn't betray my friends, blew up a wedding and a mall, and go to prison with my father. I didn't have a love triangle to solve like Yash. I didn't have a potential love interest that I couldn't see. I didn't have a baby to take care of like Akira (Yes. I know since I bumped into her and Yokozawa at the hospital). I didn't fall take a part-time job as an assistant at Marukawa like David. I didn't come out as an asexual like Anand. I didn't write amazing romantic poems for my love like Madhav. I didn't try to play the matchmaker card with anyone like Insiya. I didn't make a deal with Anand about my future with him and find myself by backpacking to the most dangerous neighborhood in Japan like Phellie. I didn't dance and scream at Madhav the way Maya did. I never saw Mr. Palaan as my father figure the way reckless Euadine did. I didn't get punched by Usami-sensei like Ethan. I didn't have a polar opposite best friend who loved me like Axel. I didn't have the traumatic experience of my crush dying in an accident like Emily. I never listened to anything that Mr. Palaan said. And I never took the time to get to know the other chaperone; I don't even know his name.

But there are certain things that you guys don't know about me. Not only you guys. No one knew about this except June. Yes. The same June who betrayed me used me as her pillow and tied me up to die. If it weren't for Shinobu and Miyagi who returned from their trip before it even started because Shinobu got a fever, then I wouldn't arrive at the mall on time to save Olivia, Ryla, and Ritsu from the scheme they were playing right into. Oh! Would you look at that? I did something significant after all. Yeah yeah. I know. I'm awesome, handsome, and smart. All the ladies drool over me. I will proudly serve as a piece of eye candy until I die. That's a promise to all the sexy girls out there. However, that wasn't the point that I was trying to make.

What nobody knew about me was that I was diagnosed with brain cancer when I was thirteen years old. Surgeries. Treatments. Regular checkups. Money. Medications. Everything. My parents did whatever they could. But you know the famous saying, 'A human's death is decided before it's born. When it's time to go, we have to accept it and go.' As much as I didn't want to leave this world so soon. I didn't accomplish anything that I wanted to as a working adult. I didn't get into college. I didn't get to do work at a part-time job to pay off my fees. I didn't get to do my first job interview. I didn't get to pursue my dream of being a physicist. I didn't get to discover anything. I didn't get a Nobel prize. I didn't get married. I didn't get to have kids. I didn't get to scold and love them. I didn't get to go to my middle and high school reunion. I didn't get to grow old and nag my kids and interrupt their romantic moments with their lovers. But I wouldn't say that I didn't get to do anything. It would be unfair of me to say that.

I got to experience the gift of life for 18 whole years. I got parents who always stood by my side and never abandoned me. They gave me everything I wanted. I named it. I got it. When I was first diagnosed with brain cancer. My parents adopted a baby boy and a dog so that I will never feel incomplete about the fact that I didn't have a pet to feed or a sibling to love and look after. I got to work hard and score amazing marks at school. I got such amazing friends who are dumb and quirky but never fail to make me laugh. I got to be a crappy student and irritate Mr. Palaan. I lost my virginity when I was 15. And had several similar encounters after that. I got to come here to the anime world. I got to meet all these gay people. I got to meet Shinobu and Miyagi; the weirdest couple I know.