Vol. 12 - To Riho, A Very Merry Birthday

Pages after pages, flipping through each one, the group of friends sat in the library as they made their attempt at studying. While for some it was an easy task to achieve, for others not so much. Ayato and Yuzuki remained composed, knowing exactly what to do but Kimi, Riho, Runa and Mona all stared at their page with a look of defeat. A look that seemed to be their most common face now that the semester finals were coming up.

Writing down notes, Yuzuki focused on her most challenging subject. Math. Even for a so called nerd like her, it was still quite difficult to go around. All the numbers, letters and symbols just jumping up at her. Ayato tried to help her but even though he was good at math, he wasn't a good teacher. Instead, she opted to teach it herself and solve some questions hoping to get a better understanding.

Spinning her pen in her hand, Kimi covered her mouth as she yawned. Sitting there and studying was definitely not her best forte. She was more of an experience it and learn kind of girl and so sitting in one place for hours was pure torture, even if she was with her friends. If a brains could cramp, this was one of those moments. Blinking rapidly, she turned to Riho who stared at her sheet worried. The sigh that escaped the blue haired girl was enough to tell Kimi that she wasn't okay.

"Riho?" Kimi whispered in a hushed tone

"Mhm?"

"You good?"

"Yeah, I suppose... It's just that, I'm so bad at studying. I never fail but I'm not exceptionally great at it either. I'm kind of just, average. I want to get better and show my parents that I can get a good grade."

"Don't worry, you've got this! We have Yuzuki and Ayato to help us with whatever. And don't get so caught up with trying to get good grades. Of course, you want to make your parents proud but take care of yourself. Everyone has limits and trying to squeeze your brain until you're sick is most definitely not healthy in any way. So just relax, walk around, take a breath and come back. Take care of yourself."

"Thanks, Kimi." Riho grinned before settling back into her books.

The silence returned and the group were back to studying in the silence. The library was full of students studying. Whether they were cramming in last minute or not, the tension was there. Failing a class in Stella d'Oro was not tolerated well by teachers or the students. You were immediately given a talk or asked to study harder or you'd be kicked out. The competition to get accepted was tough but the competition to remain was harder.

Exams began the next day and the teachers never saw students look so determined in their life. The time continuing to tick on, the sounds of students flipping through the pages and tapping their pens on the desk filled the room. A few days into the exam week, Kimi slumped into a bench full of defeat.

"Is it just me, or was the exam super hard this semester?"

"I think it's because we're in our last year." Riho sighed "they want to see how good we are."

"We've got the harder subjects done and over with." Ayato clapped gleefully "I'm surprised it wasn't harder, I was expecting something way more difficult."

"You're insane." Kimi crossed her arms

"I'm just glad we're half way through now." Yuzuki said staring into the sky "Even I can't handle exam season."

As they talked about their exams, Runa and Mona busied themselves with other things. The two weren't particularly interested in their exams so they were neither excited or worried. They were in a state of calm that almost seemed way too inhumane.

"I just can't believe it's already July." Kimi sighed "just felt like yesterday when we all walked into our final year... we're going to graduate before we even know it."