Vol. 30 - The Once Forgotten Love

The Christmas party lasted all night, with everyone deciding to hold a massive sleepover because it was too late to go anywhere. The moon was high in the sky and the laughter still echoing in the background, Yuzuki slowly escaped and exited the building. Taking in a deep breath of the night air, she admired the stars above her. There was so many of them but they all managed to shine bright and beautifully. The moon was full, it's light pouring over her. It was winter but she felt warm. Maybe it was because she was home. Her memory still hazy but this feeling within her was comforting, she couldn't have asked for anything else.

Wrapping her coat over herself tightly, she sat herself down on the grass, failing to notice Kiki and ShiShi watching her from afar. The two fairy sisters stared at each other in concern, but their expressions soon changed as they watched Yuzuki softly smile. A genuine smile that Kiki had not seen in a long time. Yuzuki was no longer the bright 14 year old girl who was full of confidence and energy, but watching her sit there brought her back. It was hard to believe that people would eventually grow up. Babies will turn into toddlers, toddlers into kids, kids into teens and finally teens into adults. Growing up was a part of life. Deciding not to go to her, the two fairies continued to watch as Yuzuki sat by herself.

Breathing softly, Yuzuki watched the white air escape her mouth. Inhaling and exhaling, the memories of her past no longer vivid but continued to linger in the back of her mind. When she had supposedly first turned into a Pretty Cure, refusing but doing it anyway, it was like as if deep down she wanted to. Since Kayume returned, the memories of her long gone past was slowly returning. Whether she wanted it to or not, it was happening nonetheless.

"Yuzuki?"

Turning around, Yuzuki watched as Suzuna sit down beside her. For a while, the two sat in silence, not knowing where to begin.

"I... I was like you." Suzuna took a deep breath "I was the leader of my team, and as a leader I thought I was supposed to be good at everything. So you should have seen my shock when we weren't able to graduate... graduation is a big thing, especially as a Pretty Cure. Sure, it means the end but it also signifies a new beginning. Congratulations for passing an extremely difficult obstacle, a new one awaits but now you're stronger than ever before."

Hugging her feet tightly, Yuzuki continued to listen to her mother.

"I blamed myself for the failure. I was upset I wasn't able to do anything when Hinata was expelled. I was upset I wasn't able to defeat the enemy, causing my entire team to fail. I still am."

"You are?"

"Of course. My team meant the entire world to me. I couldn't have imagined a better set of friends. Hinata was disorderly and crazy, but she was determined and full of courage that the rest of us didn't have. Akari was gentle, the opposite of Hinata but she was ambitious, and deep within, very competitive just like Hinata. Mirei... well, she was everything I lacked as a leader. The four of us fit together like a puzzle piece, just like your own team. There will be many trials, obstacles that seem extremely difficult to overcome but when your friends are by your side, you can do anything. Nobody gets anywhere by themselves... nobody. I learned that the hard way."

Without noticing, Yuzuki found herself clinging onto every word her mother was saying. The sincere look in her eyes brought back this childlike feeling she had forgotten. The days where her mom would tell her bedtime stories and nothing else mattered in the world.

"I've never told you this, not even when you had your memories, but my team fought... an awful lot. It's not a surprise that Mirei was always on the other side of that fight. Many times she fought to be the leader but the rest of the team always voted me back in. Eventually we would make up, but there was always a tension between Mirei and I... especially because... because..." Suzuna stopped, biting her tongue as if not wanting to say anymore.