Vol. 22 - What's a Friend?

The room filled with silence as Shouya paced around his old room. He stared at the house and smiled. Although 2 years had passed since the accident, his parents made sure to keep his room cleaned. Walking out, he peeked at another room. It was Kayume's room. She was still a young middle schooler then and she was socially awkward so her room was the place she spent most of her time. There were stuffed toys laid out neatly on her bed, left untouched. A small bed where ShiShi used to sleep and a chair and desk which she used to study, although he knew, she never actually used it to study.

Heading downstairs, he could hear his parents talking to Suzuna, or Miss. Bell as the girls knew her as.

"Good morning mother. Father." Shouya bowed as he came down the stairs.

"Shou, good morning. Want some breakfast?" Akari smiled at her sun.

"Thanks, that would be great." Shouya sat down and bowed to Suzuna who nodded at him back.

"How are you adjusting?" She asked him.

"I am confused on what happened but I am most certain the other teachers have been trapped, as well as all the students. Other than my confusion, it's like I never left."

"That's good son, with you here, it now motivates me even more to help others."

"You're like Kayu" Shouya laughed at his dad.

"And that my boy, is a good thing" he winked at his son.

"Which aspect of Yume exactly? The socially awkward side or the really angry one?" Akari joked as she placed food in front of Shouya.

"Honestly. Both." Yoshiki scratched his head awkwardly.

"Dad. What did you do this time?" Shouya frowned.

"I maybe... Maybe... got angry at the council..." He laughed silently.

"And that is why they don't like you." Shouya shook his head.

"But they want to rid of the Pretty Cure. I haven't set foot in that annoying place since I heard of you and your sister's return. I am a bad liar. If they ask me anything, I won't be able to keep you and Yume secret."

"There's 5 of them now. Although the appearance of Cure Zeal has shaken the magic dimension, they're more powerful. Whatever is coming, must be tough but I believe the girls can do it." Suzuna added as she took a drink "I of course was part of the blame. I shouldn't have used my own issues to exploit my own child."

"Now now Suzuna. We all make mistakes. At least you figured before anything truly happened."

"Akari, I believe that you're forgetting that my selfishness caused my daughter to forget her memories and despise me. We grew apart and I am to blame."

"Okay, yes, I agree. You are at fault but we can only look forward now."

"I can't help but look towards my past. It makes me angry and my selfish greed is still within me."

"I understand but let's put our trust in what we have now. It can help us in the long run."

"But why are we doing this behind the council's back?" Shouya asked

"Per my request." Suzuna sat up straight "We need to figure things out and I know that the council will take a different approach and want us to comply to their rules."

"Yes. I am tired of listening to their rules, especially when they don't know what they're doing."

"So, we're breaking the law?" Shouya asked confused.

"We can't break the law when they don't know" Yoshiki joked as he patted his son "Get with it boy"

"Right" Shouya laughed awkwardly at his dad. His dad always remained energetic and silly. Always making jokes however he knew he only did that to cover his serious and strict disposition.