eleven

Poe and I walk down to the meeting room together, our usual banter resuming

Poe and I walk down to the meeting room together, our usual banter resuming. We both act as if we hadn't been about to kiss each other in my room.

Standing in the conference room are our main Generals and Leia. A few commanders are scattered around the room. I'm only here because of Poe and mom.

The meeting should've started a couple minutes ago, but we're still waiting on a few people. While we wait, Poe's eyes drift to the doorway. His face hardens.

He stands up, and I grab his sleeve.

"Where are you going?" I ask him.

"Oh. Uh...bathroom." He says uncertainly. I don't believe him, but it's not like I can accuse him of lying to me. Not that I care if he's lying to me. It's Dameron. We're...enemies. Of sorts.

Mom clears her throat as the last few stragglers walk in.

"Where is Commander Dameron?" She asks.

"Oh. He uh...he said he was going to the bathroom." I say. My mom eyes me for a second. I stare at the floor, trying to avoid her gaze.

"Alright, we'll have to start without him. One of our Resistance spies has informed us that they have found the droid. They have found-"

"They found BB-8!" Poe says excitedly. I turn and see him standing in the doorway. He's hands are locked behind his back, and he quickly sits down next to me again.

"Sorry General."

"That's quite alright Commander. As I was saying, they have found our missing droid. As we know, this droid is carrying the map to Luke Skywalker. We need to retrieve the droid. He could be the turning point in the war." My mom says. As she talks, I can visibly see her getting more excited. "Commander Dameron. Can we bring in the black squadron? Are they ready?"

Poe perks up. "Yes General. They're ready General." Poe places his fists on his knees, and leans forward. They catch my eye, and I see that his knuckles are split. Why?

One of the Generals, Kaydel Connix, speaks up.

"What are we looking for ma'am?" She asks mom. General Connix is a sort of apprentice to my mom. They are almost inseparable. Connix is sweet enough, but we have never really formed a friendship.

"The droid appears to be with three others. A scavenger girl, a Resistance member, and...Han Solo."

My vision seems to go white. Dad.

"I'm sorry ma'am, but did you say Han Solo? As in your hus-" One of the Commanders pipes up.

Mom holds up her hand. "All of you heard me." Clearly, she doesn't want to talk about the subject. I've never known much about my parents relationship, but I do know they fought. A lot. This often caused Dad to leave. And when Ben 'died', Dad took it really hard. Mom says he blamed himself. So the two went their separate ways, going back to what they were good at. For Dad it was smuggling. For Mom, it was leading.