nineteen

*Wren's POV*

*Wren's POV*

I shower quickly, trying not to get lost in thought. If I do, I'll break down. Then Poe will come running. And I'm in the shower.

I get dressed into pajamas and open the door to my bathroom, wringing out my dripping hair.

The water falls onto the carpet, and I step over it. Poe lies on my bed, twisting the chain around his neck. A ring hangs from the chain, but I've never asked what it's from.

"You done?" He asks me, not looking up. I nod and sit cross legged next to him. The bed creaks under both our weights.

Poe glances up at me, and then away quickly. I sigh.

"You don't have to treat me like I'm a ticking time bomb." I say haughtily. This catches him off guard.

"I'm not." He says. He rolls over and props his head up on his hand. "I'm just...treading lightly."

"Well don't. I'm not delicate. Haven't we gone over this?"

"We have. But that was before this...mess happened."

It's silent for a moment.

"When we were on Starkiller-" I begin to say. My breath hitches in my throat. I try again. "When we were kidnapped, he tortured me. Not in the same way he did with you. But it was definitely torture. And the thing is, what he showed me haunts me. All of it has come true. The first was Mom, lying dead. Then Dad. Then Chewie. And then, I thought I was going to see Braiden. Instead, I saw you. I watched your X-wing blow up. And I knew you had died. It's..it's...." I let out a breath, not being able to continue. I squeeze my eyes shut, fidgeting with my hands.

Poe places his hand on top of mine.

"Thank you. For telling me." He says. I nod and lean down to place a quick kiss on his lips.

"Will you stay with me? This might be our only rest for a while." I say. As of right now, nobody's in charge. D'Acy allowed everyone one night of rest.

"Of course." Poe says. I lay down and place my head on his chest, listening to his heart beat. Poe wraps an arm around me. Soon, I'm out. It's the best sleep I've had in weeks.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I wake up to a heavy weight on my ribs. I wiggle out from underneath it, and see Poe's slumbering figure. I decide not to wake him. Instead, I grab a change of clothes and head to the bathroom.

I slip into black leggings and a t-shirt. I brush out my hair and give myself a once over. I nod my head and open the bathroom door to see Poe's back turned to me.