sixty one

Babu unhooks the back of 3PO's head and connects a long strand of colorful wires to the golden droid

Babu unhooks the back of 3PO's head and connects a long strand of colorful wires to the golden droid. All the while, 3PO is protesting.

I sit in the corner, gnawing at my nails. This has to work.

"I haven't the faintest idea why I agreed to this." C3PO announces. "I must be malfunctioning."

Rey places a hand on the golden droids shoulder with a sad smile. "Babu Frik? Can you help us with this?" The Jedi asks.

Babu begins talking in an alien language I can't understand. Finn and I share a glance. I shrug.

"Zorii?" I ask. "Is this going to work?"

Zorii walks down a set of steps and begins speaking to Babu in the same language. Babu replies and they argue for a second.

"He says he's found something in your droids forbidden memory bank." Zorii says, pointing to 3PO. "Words. Translated from Sith."

I nod. "That's it."

"Yeah, that's what we need." Finn supplies. I stand up and walk over to 3PO.

Zorii turns to Poe and places an arm on his shoulder. "Who are you hanging out with that speaks Sith?" She yells angrily.

Poe brushes off her hand and heads towards 3PO. "Can you make him...Babu? Can you make him translate it?"

Zorii turns to Babu again. They talk for a second before Zorii speaks up, in English this time.

"Yes," She says. "But it will cause a complete-"

"A complete memory wipe." 3PO finishes for her.

"No." I whisper.

"Wait, wait, wait. We make him translate it, he won't remember...anything?" Poe asks. He glances over at me.

"Droid memory go blank." Babu says.

"Oh!" 3PO yells.

"Blank blank." Babu repeats.

"There must be some other way." The golden droid pleads.

"Doesn't R2 back up your memory?" Finn asks incredulously.

"R2's storage units are famously unreliable." I say quietly. Somehow, everyone still catches it.

"You know the odds better than any of us." Rey says. "Do we have a choice?"

I glance up at the Jedi sharply.

C3PO leans back, as if surprised that we actually need him. Then, the golden droid stands up. "If this mission fails...it was all for nothing. All we've done. All this time." 3PO turns around.

"What're you doing there 3PO?" Poe asks.

"Taking one last look sir. At my friends." The golden droid says. I can almost hear the hint of sadness in his voice.