two

I open my eyes and instantly regret my decision

I open my eyes and instantly regret my decision. Bright sunlight burns my eyelids as I groan and roll over to look at my alarm clock. The time reads 9:34 am. Great. I'm going to be late for drills.

I sit up and stretch, a yawn escaping my mouth. I don't take a shower this morning, I just slip into the hideous orange jumpsuit that signifies I'm with the Resistance flight crew. On top of the orange, I slid on a dirty and worn white vest with a black Resistance symbol, displaying what squad I'm in.

The black squad is the most elite squad. We're only used on special occasions, which means we have the best fliers in the world. It also means that I'm bored as hell during the day.

I slam my door shut, not bothering to be quiet. Everyone in my hall should be awake by now. If they're not, well...they either got laid yesterday or they're hung over. Either way, not my problem.

I stop by the cafeteria and grab an apple. The chefs greet me, and I merely wave back. I'm not in the mood to talk. Well, I'm never really in the mood to talk.

I wander the halls, not desperate to get into my X-wing as I usually am. I know when I arrive, whether I'm one minute late or ten, Commander Dameron will yell at me. Not really something you look forward to.

As I walk around the base, slowly getting closer to the docking bay, there's more and more people. They all avoid me. I've built a reputation for myself. Don't mess with me. Don't talk to me. And if you do, don't expect anything. I have a hard time keeping relationships, and I never feel like trying.

At last, I reach the doors to the bay. I take a deep breath, steeling myself for what's to come, and step inside.

Almost immediately, Dameron's shouts fill the air. I'm not quite sure what he's saying, but I know what's it's along the lines of. You disrespected your squad. You're a disgrace. Yada yada yada.

Once he's down shouting, I roll my eyes and climb into my X-wing.

"Ah, ah, ah. Not so fast Birdy." Poe says. I bare my teeth at him.

"Call my Birdy again Dameron."

"That's Commander Dameron to you Birdy."

"If you can call me whatever, I can call you whatever." I snarl.

"With an attitude like that, I'll have you kicked off the squadron. And no sweet talking to your mother could get you back in."

"That's an idiot move and you know it Dameron. Besides you, I'm the best the Resistance has." I say, already climbing out of my X-wing. I drop to the ground and come face to face with Poe.

He leans forward, ever so slightly, wrists locked behind his back. "Just because you were born and raised by Han Solo, the famous smuggler, doesn't mean you can fly better than the rest of the team."